Error Downloading File, Error 75: Path/file

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by cooletta, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooletta

cooletta Registered Member

Using Win XP Home. Installed SpywareBlaster 3.3 into d:/programs/spywareblaster/. It runs fine and updates fine under the admin account.

Now trying to run it under normal non-admin account. When I try to update by clicking on the button, I get the error message:
    Error Downloading File
    Cannot Write File to Disk
    Error 75: Path/file access error

It seemed like it might be a permissions problem. So I went back and drug the spywareblaster folder into "Shared Folders" which should give write access to the folder in XP Home. But that did not affect the behavior.

Using ZoneAlarm and AVGantivirus realtime. I also ran a Panda online virus check. Turning them off made no difference.

The only really strange thing that happened was that after a successful installation under the admin account, when I opened the program the first time under this non-admin account that I'm trying to use, a Microsoft Frontpage installation started up. This appears to be related to Frontpage having been installed on the machine but never having been run under that particular user's account. That was solved by inserting the Frontpage disk. That Frontpage installation popping up has not occurred again. I'm not sure if it's related to this update problem or not.

2. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Registered Member

Did you make sure Win XP firewall was disabled?

3. cooletta

WinXP Firewall turned off.

Only ZoneAlarm (Free version) running. And I double checked whether or not ZA could be causing the problem, by setting it not to load at startup, and then rebooted. But that did not change anything.

4. cooletta

Hey Javacool! Where are you? Any ideas? Any help?

5. Olaf99

Olaf99 Guest

Hello, Cooletta, i had the same problem. Unpriviliged users don't have write-access into the directory program files\spywareblater which causes this error. You can however grant write rights under xp home edition in the next way. Reboot and in the very first screen press F8. Choose in the next screen Safe Mode. Log in as Administrator. Start windows explorer and go to the spywareblaster folder in program files. Right click this folder. Choose the tab Protection. Click Add and type in the next screen the name of the unprivileged user. Click OK. If the system recognises this user you be back in the first Protection-Tab-screen and the unpriviliged user is now added. Mark for this user now the privileges for reading, writing and executing. (All the check-boxes except the one most at the top)

Take care that you first select the unprivileged user and only then start checking the boxes!!
    After this having done the problem should be over.
    I do not know if this will work with older versions of xp. I do know this works with xp-sp2-home edition.

I may have forgotten one little step in the process of adding the unprivileged user above, but it should speak for itself.

Don't forget if you are ready with this all to give the administaror a password (and write it down somewhere!) so other people will not be able to start your computer up in safe mode.

Olaf99

good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.