ERROR: DISK NOT FOUND

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by iflyprivate, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 5160. The first time I loaded TrueImage 8.0 build 796 I was able to successfully clone my internal 40GB hard drive to a 60GB external USB hard drive.

Yesterday I upgraded to TI8.8 the newest build. Today I tried to clone my same internal to the same external USB drive and got "ERROR: DISK NOT FOUND" upon the Acronis-initiated reboot.

I have tried everything including wiping out my entire internal 40GB drive, reloading Windows XP and re-installing TrueImage 8.0 build 796 in order to clone the internal to the USB external drive but with no success. Every time Acronis reboots i get the same error message.

What happened?

Did TrueImage build 800 modify my BIOS causing TrueImage to look for the external hard drive before the BIOS recognizes that there is a hard drive attached? That's what it looks like to me. I have LED's on my external USB drive which light up but only AFTER TrueImage gives the error message, indicating a timing problem in recognizing the external hard drive.

Please let me know what I can do to clone my dirve again. This is the only reason I spent $50 for TrueImage in the first place. I was assured by Acronis Sales and also Ilya from Tech Support that cloning was possible. I was not told it would be a one-time-only possibility.

Help!

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

That sounds somewhat similar to the problem I'm having in this thread. Since installing True Image and letting it create a partition, my bootup stalls just before recognizing my hard drive, so I cannot boot.

3. iflyprivate

As a followup to my first posting......

I continued to retry cloning. After several more tries, it worked successfully but only using build 796 after the fourth retry, not with the latest build 800. It never worked for me with 800.

I did nothing differently each time I retried to clone so I have to believe there is some kind of weird problem that allows RANDOM recognition of the external hard drive. Sounds like a timing conflict of some sort. Please, Acronis, give this some attention.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iflyprivate,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please describe whether you were always able to clone the drive using build 796 or just occasionally, these occasions being absolutely random without any hardware/software changes?

Could you please try to perform the cloning after booting from Acronis Bootable CD created with the latest build and with the build 796 and let us know the result?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. iflyprivate

I have been able to clone the internal hard drive to a USB external hard drive only randomly and only with build 796.

The last time I successfully cloned, I selected 'manual' and resized partitions (40GB to 60GB). The one thing I did very differently was to proceed VERY slowly through the steps and screens. As I proceeded very slowly, I could hear my hard drive being accessed which I did not hear on the prvious attempts as I stepped quickly through the screens. Otherwise, I did nothing differently. After the reboot, the cloning began.

I'll burn an 800 CD and try the cloning with 796 and 800 and report back.

Just a comment on build 800....... after I loaded build 800 I began having problems with my software like Explorer shutting down and Windows XP Pro also shutting down. May be a coincidence but after wiping my hard drive and restoring everything, I reloaded 796 and have had no problems at all except for the somewhat random disk cloning I am reporting.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iflyprivate,

If some of your applications crash after you install Acronis True Image build 800 please do the following:

1. Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and press Enter.
    2. In the dialog that appears check the Log File and Crash Dump paths, then press the OK button.
    3. Run the aaplication once again and wait till the crash happens.
    4. Pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files in the directory specified at step 2 and send them to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

If Windows shuts down please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps.

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the system crash and send us the mini-dumps created. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. JCip

JCip Guest

Were you using a docking station? I had the exact same problem as you with my IBM X31. I was using the USB port on my docking station without any success. I undocked the laptop and tried the USB port on the back the the unit. The drive was recognized and True Image worked like a charm. (Actually, I first tried the USB port on the left side of the laptop and the OS did not even recognize see the drive - probably a problem with the laptop).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.