"Error creating the file" at 62%

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by migstradamus, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. migstradamus

migstradamus Registered Member

Hello. I'm trying to run a full backup of several hundred gb from several drives to a USB external. Data backup of selected files and directories. It used to work fine and the trouble started when I created a new backup plan and formatted the drive. At 62% completed, almost exactly in the same place each time, Acronis True Image produces the same error:

Pressing 'retry' produces the error again. Pressing 'ignore' always produces an identical error on the next file or folder. In other words, Acronis stops being able to create files at all at this point. No, the external destination drive is not full or anywhere near full. No, it's not timing out or going into sleep mode.

XP Pro, True Image 11 latest build with latest drivers. Same build used to work. I have run chkdsk on all drives with no problems found. The files and directories where the problem is occurring are in working order. They were also part of the previous backup, which ran with no trouble. I can copy these directories manually in Windows Explorer with no errors. This is particularly frustrating because this operation takes over nine hours to run before crashing like this each time at 62%. (I'm manually backing up my critical files to another drive so I can sleep at night. )

Estimating from the free space left on the backup drive, this happens when the backup is approximately 281GB in size. I can't imagine AV or indexing programs being part of the problem because of how far along it gets before the errors start, but I turned them off anyway and still got this error. There is nothing special about the directories or files where these errors begin. (It doesn't happen in exactly the same directory or file each time, just very close.)

I searched these forums and found little similar to this case. I opened a ticket with Acronis support today as well but thought I'd see if anywhere here has experienced this or otherwise has tips. Thanks.

Saludos, Mig

2. Steve369

Steve369 Registered Member

I currently have the exact same problem. I just bought the product new and I was a ble to do an image of my C drive without a problem. Then I backed up my recording drive and about 2/3rds into the process I got the same kind of errors.

I searched around and someone said to try going into options and turning down the speed of the drive and make sure that the process runs at it's slowest. So I'm currently trying this out to see if it will work.

Steve
    http://www.sanddust.com/marriage.htm

3. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

This issue is well-known and has been discussed in several threads here. See for example https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=193687. It has been acknowledged by Acronis Support as a bug in the current version of TI Home. A workaround is to turn off compression.

4. Steve369

Steve369 Registered Member

Thanks MKairys.

It looks like we all have to just try to work around the problem and wait for a solution.

These kinds of problems appear to be a growing phenomena across the board. Here in the music business I constantly run into software companies that use their customers as "beta testers."

Some are still loyal, but most are playing a game of using the customer as type of informal stock market investor to keep the company in business. For example: I invested in pro audio software years ago with a company that is general well known and at the top of the market. Yet at the same time they have a lot of pride and take their customers for granted. Every year or two they come out with a new version without really fixing all the problems and complaints about the older version. I'm assuming that they know that many of us have invested in this company for so many years and have files that we would have to re-produce to fit another version so they keep on doing the same thing they have been doing for decades.

When I need to work on my finances, build a web page, or do other things I end up running into the same kinds of problems. I think overall our world is on the one hand smarter and technically incline while at the same time more lazy, self centered, and greedy.

Steve

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Ain't it the turth. Computers're so complicated, no one understands 'em anymore. Diff folks are familiar with diff parts but that's as far as it goes and it's hardly far enough. For, unfortunately, it's hard to build shoes for an elephant if you only see the trunk. Why the elephant needs shoes in the first place is another matter entirely.

Maybe the luddites were right. For example, in the future, if try to type, say, the word "apple", after the first stroke, the pc will put up a message "Did you want to type 'A' Yes No?", and after you type "Y" for "yes" and then "p" it will ask, "Did you want to type 'P'?" And when you press the space bar, it will threafter present the word wtih only 3 or 4 correct letters and all this in less time than it takes to write the word by hand several times, not counting booting, rebooting etc..

ATI 11 is a strong example of this kind of future.

6. migstradamus

migstradamus Registered Member

Greetings fellow paying TI 11 beta testers. I'd seen that thread and tried everything it recommends (reinstalling drivers, scattering chicken blood around the PC, etc.). Nobody described receiving this error message, which is why I created a new thread. Mine doesn't hang quietly as it seems it does for others.

Randomly hanging like this and as described in the other threads is bugginess plain and simple. It would be remarkable if the same thing were causing all of these hangs. Annoyingly, it worked fine for a few months with a job that was almost identical to this one. (Data backup, with compression.) Suddenly, it doesn't work anymore. It seems like if you're lucky, Acronis True Image works and if you aren't lucky it doesn't. My backup would probably be larger than my external hard drive without compression so that's a non-starter.

As a bonus, my latest try produced a different error. The TI executable produced a runtime error and shut down completely after around 90% as far as I can tell.

What's always amused me about these situations, and it's obviously not just Acronis, is that if a car company put out such unstable products they would be sued out of existence. Users of faulty software can lose millions of dollars in time and even in real value in intellectual content if there is a disaster related buggy backup or security software. But before you install it, you supposedly sign away all your rights in the terms of service. In other words, you're a paying beta tester who uses the software at your own risk. In the high-end commercial database world it's quite different. Reliability is essential and and legally enforceable and, surprise, is there. There just aren't sufficient repercussions for releasing buggy software for producers like Acronis to do QA properly. And Microsoft, of course. I know from experience they don't much care if the latest Win update wrecks things for a few dozen vendors and a few thousand of their customers.

7. shieber

Detroit has been putting out such junk since just after WWII when certain system analysts came to Ford and eschewed consideration of reliability and durabilty in favor of production costs and short term revenue impacts. Well, they didn't actual eschew durability, they just considered a negative income factor. Voila, "planned obsolescence."

Of course they eventually spent tons of money on ads saying they changed their ways (Iacocca's Chrysler spent more on ads saying they changed than on any actual design or production changes--I mean they came up wtih the K car for crying out loud). It's a matter of not how well you can build it, but how well you can sell it. Eventually, something built better comes along built by someone else.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello migstradamus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Meanwhile, could you please collect some information (if you haven't done so yet) to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with enabled logging. Then reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

If the program crashes again, please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then please send a reply to the message with Acronis request number, with all collected files and information attached. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. Acronis Support

Hello Steve369,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. mattny

mattny Registered Member

Has there been a solution discovered for this issue? I am using ATI Echo ver 9.5.8076 to backup 559GB of .tif files off a W2K3 server and it craps out with 0x4000A error about 8GB in. Never happens at the same directory and Ignore/Retry produce the same errors. I see build 8117 was released today but I'm not sure an in place upgrade and deploying the equivalent build agent to 80+ machines is the solution just yet. This error occurs with and without compression.

11. shieber

Not fixed in ATI11 yet. Don't know about the other versions, but if it ain't fixed there in the simpler product, I doubt Acronis has tackled it elsewhere.

It appears that Acronis decied to devote it's programmingskills to the next version(s) and let Tech Support handle the current versions (which means workarounds or grin-and-bear-it). Only two updates since the first release of ATI11 Home and neither hand many importnat fixes in them. The next version should be coming out in a few months. we'll see which is greater, the number fo fixes or the number of lost patrons ;-)

12. Acronis Support

Hello mattny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that since the problem persists even with compression off, it is most likely caused by different reasons. Could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post from the problem server.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.