Error connecting to server

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by quser, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quser

quser Registered Member

Hello,
    I’m new in this forum, trying out NOD32. In my event log I read (almost daily):
    Module: Update
    Event: Error connecting to server 82.165.250.33.

My Firewall doesn’t report outbound messages. I can imagine that this event has to do with the fact that I have a trial version in which update facilities are not activated.
    Am I right?
    Thanks.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi quser, welcome to Wilders.

Do you see within your logs that NOD32 is actually updating?

Cheers :D

3. quser

quser Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt reaction. Samples of the three events that have been logged up to now are:
    Time Module Event
    15-8-2006 17:42:19 Update Error connecting to server 82.165.250.33.
    16-8-2006 8:58:27 Kernel The virus signature database has been successfully updated to version 1.1708 (20060816).
    16-8-2006 20:31:32 Kernel Statistical information has been sent to Eset.

In my info (NOD32 System tools) I see that the virus signature database is updated indeed. So, I reckoned that the Update Module might be the one updating NOD versions as a whole, a facility not included in my trial version for obvious reasons. However, I want to be sure that NOD32 runs as it should before I decide for permanent install. Hope you understand. Thank you.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

That particular server is having some issues these days.
    However, if NOD32 can't connect to that one it will simply move on to the next - That's why it's important that you have it set to 'Choose automatically' in update setup.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Of the 8 servers Nod attempts to connect to for updates....server 82.165.250.33 has a known history of user connection errors as a forum search criteria using 82.165.250.33 will show....along with this Update servers connection failure history.

However....that server burp hopefully will be looked at as a very minor issue when users are considering the excellent merits of Nod32 as a whole.

Bubba

Edit
    Yeah....what Brian said ;)

6. quser

quser Registered Member

Thank you for the impressive list of failures of the server mentioned. It tells me that if I go for a permanent install, I’m not the only one with this issue and that ESET is working hard to solve the problem. Moreover it’s just this one server with a hick up, another one automatically takes over, so no worries. I can live with that, really.
    However, now I got this one:
    Time Module Event User
    18-8-2006 17:25:05 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.

Same server in disguise? Just another one in the line?
    Hope you can comment on this one.
    Thanks. o_O

7. Brian N

That will happen no matter what you do.
    Sometimes you can't connect to a server, but if you try a minute later, you can connect..
    I like to call it "internet noise" because you aren't really connecting to eset servers directly (unless they use ssl, which I'm qyite sure they don't) so the servers between ESET and you could fail.

But as I mentioned before, just select 'Choose automatically' and you are good to go. Don't pay too much attention to the server connection errors in your log, unless you get no updates at all for a couple of days.

Just to make sure that you understand the whole "internet noise" thing:
    Click start > Run: Type cmd :Type tracert u4.eset.com
    See all those servers it has to go through just to reach u4.eset.com? :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  8. quser

quser Registered Member

Thanks Brian (and others), I learn a lot. Didn't expect a real big problem, but if one doesn't take note of the logs, they have no use. And in doing so questions may arise and I always like to know what's going on. I just move on, because my first experience with NOD32 (and this forum!) is (are) pretty good. Thanks again.:D

9. Brian N

Well you know how to find us ;)

10. Brian N

Hmm .. 82.165.250.33 is doing good now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.