Error 3 on Boot - Sometimes.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by pjiv, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

ok, this is going to be a long and complete as possible post.

I had a 200GB drive with 2 partitions. Win XP Pro on C: and Data on D: I had OS selector on this drive. My second drive 80GB had Linspire Five-O on it. I decided to scrap Linux, so I removed that drive, made the XP disk a slave and installed a new 250GB drive as Pri, Master. Went to the BIOS to remove the 2nd drive, so only the new 250 is showing. Installed Win XP Pro on the new drive. Everything is fine. Re-enabled the second drive in BIOS, rebooted all normal, got access to my files on the other drive. Now I want to be able to boot back into the other OS. I go and install OS Selector, it finds both XP systems. I can boot into either from the choice screen form within windows. I configure the old XP to change the order of the HD's so C and D would be as they normally should and everything works. However if I set the OLD XP to default, and reboot everything is fine for 1 time. When I reboot again, I get a flash of MBR ERROR 3 and it boots the NEW windows. I can not seem to get this to boot to the old XP by default. I did remove the new disk and boot of the old one, and removed OS Selector from that drives MBR thinking there might have been a conflict. But I get the same issue still. Please advise....

Thanks!

2. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Well since posting this, I have done numerous reboots, both soft and hard and everything is well. I don't get that error anymore, and the boot manager is working excellently. I have not booted into the new OS and then back into the old one yet, I will do that later. For now all is working.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pjiv,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Re-activation of Acronis OS Selector should resolve this MBR ERROR 3 issue. You can find the instructions on how to re-activate Acronis OS Selector in the section 8.1.1 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

If it does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

All is well. It's all fixed and working great now.

5. Acronis Support

Hello pjiv,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Ok, I have my Original XP as the default OS, when I boot everything is fine, EXECPT if I hit F-6 to bypass the Loader message, then it boots to the NEW OS which is on the 1st drive. How can I just have it boot the old OS without any menu unless I want it to show, I want to hide the new OS unless I want to boot into it.

7. Acronis Support

Hello pjiv,

This issue has been forwarded to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

You can set the special option for booting your default operating system by selecting "Tools->Options->Startup options" item. Please take a look at the section 7.14.2 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Any new news on this? It's been more than a couple of days, and no one's ever contacted me. If I hit F-6 to bypass the menu it boots into the NEW OS, it's like it's forgetting to switch the drives around or something.

9. Acronis Support

Hello pjiv,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (2117) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 which is available at the Product Updates section at our web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the issue remains with the latest build then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

10. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

ok, will resubmit as it's still doing the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.