error 1721. there is a problem with this installer package

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by evansgo, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evansgo

evansgo Registered Member

Has anyone seen this on an installation before? Error 1721. there is a problem with this installer package.

I am running Vista X64 and had FD running ok, but decided to update it with the latest version. So I uninstalled it, then tried to install the new version and it gets about 90% through the installation but then comes up with this message. I have googled it and tried all of the various suggestions with no luck so far. Suggestions welcome :)

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings Evansgo,

I have seen this with several applications, including FD-ISR. It is a MS installer issue. I have found that this routine works 75% of the time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891985

3. evansgo

Yes it must be because even the previous version of FD will not now load. Yet all other programs I've tested tonight will uninstall / install fine.

I'm afraid that I am in the other 25% as I've already tried those methods, but thanks for the suggestions and as I cannot install FD I cannot get any of my snapshots to revert to an earlier period which is my usual get out of things like this :)

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. evansgo

:D
    Thanks all for the help, I have now fixed it so I thought that I'd pass on how in case it helps any-one else.

After trying ALL sorts of things I finally decided to rename the $ISR folder and try again, so I did this and immediatly it installed fine. So I then deleted the new $ISR folder and renamed my "old" one back, rebooted and all is fine (or appears to be).

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, that's a damn good solution, evansgo, compared to where I ended up a few weeks ago.:(

I ended up giving up and deleting all snapshots and removing every trace of FD-ISR everywhere. THEN, the install ran fine. I got close, but no cigar - you got that.

I wish I'd thought of your improvisation - I may have saved those snapshots.

Good job.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.