error 1721. there is a problem with this installer package

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by evansgo, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evansgo

evansgo Registered Member

Has anyone seen this on an installation before? Error 1721. there is a problem with this installer package.

I am running Vista X64 and had FD running ok, but decided to update it with the latest version. So I uninstalled it, then tried to install the new version and it gets about 90% through the installation but then comes up with this message. I have googled it and tried all of the various suggestions with no luck so far. Suggestions welcome :)

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings Evansgo,

I have seen this with several applications, including FD-ISR. It is a MS installer issue. I have found that this routine works 75% of the time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891985

3. evansgo

Yes it must be because even the previous version of FD will not now load. Yet all other programs I've tested tonight will uninstall / install fine.

I'm afraid that I am in the other 25% as I've already tried those methods, but thanks for the suggestions and as I cannot install FD I cannot get any of my snapshots to revert to an earlier period which is my usual get out of things like this :)

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. evansgo

:D
    Thanks all for the help, I have now fixed it so I thought that I'd pass on how in case it helps any-one else.

After trying ALL sorts of things I finally decided to rename the $ISR folder and try again, so I did this and immediatly it installed fine. So I then deleted the new $ISR folder and renamed my "old" one back, rebooted and all is fine (or appears to be).

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, that's a damn good solution, evansgo, compared to where I ended up a few weeks ago.:(

I ended up giving up and deleting all snapshots and removing every trace of FD-ISR everywhere. THEN, the install ran fine. I got close, but no cigar - you got that.

I wish I'd thought of your improvisation - I may have saved those snapshots.

Good job.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.