ERROR 0X80

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by obetskie, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obetskie

obetskie Registered Member

For the past 2 years now I'd been using paragon backup wizard every time I repair a computer. My problem now is that I am getting an error before the wizard finish, and it says ERROR 0X80.

I am just wondering why I'm getting this kind of error unlike before it run smoothly without any problem at all.

I tried this process for at least 5 computers with different brand and specs but it fail a minute or so before i complete the process.

Please help as I am trying to get an answer for the last 2 weeks now.

thanks a lot in advance

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

As far as I understand, you tried to restore created backup to different machines but it fails with error 0x80.

Error 0x80 means that read\write error occured. Most likely it means that created backup is corrupted.

Did you try to restore single file from backup? http://kb.paragon-software.com/para...atId=2124&objId=6178&statId=1610758&foLang=en
    Does it work?

Could you please attach here log files from any attempt to restore the backup?
    find LOG files: "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" which are located usually in "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program" and attach to your reply.

3. obetskie

What I meant is that I am trying to back-up the whole system (partition, data, etc.) of a newly formatted Hard disk via Paragon Backup wizard just in case the system will crash in installing drivers or software.

I am doing this kind of routine every time I am repairing a computer for the last 2 years without any problem. My question now is why I am getting ERROR 0X80 in my last attempts. I formatted 5 computers last week but none of my 5 attempts succeeded.

thank you for sparing your time in answering my question.

4. Mech_An

Oh, the error appears during backup.

First of all check file system of all partitions:
    * go to Start - Run and type CMD
    If you use Win7\Vista right-click the appeared cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator
    * in CMD type:
    CHKDSK C: /f
    * this operation requires restart. Restart your PC and CHKDSK will run on startup.
    Repeat this operation for all partitions on all hard drives.

Once completed, run backup again. Does it work?

If not, post here log files: "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" from "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program"

5. obetskie

That's it! so you suspect that maybe there are some bad sectors in the hard disk that's why i cant get through with the back-up process. That was also my first suspicion that there's something wrong with the hard disk that I was working with. but there's a cloud of doubt in my mind since I formatted 5 computers with different hard disk. I don't think that those 5 computers has a bad sectors.

anyway, I'll follow your instructions the next time I will encounter the same error and I'll post the log files. By the way, I am using HDD REGENERATOR in checking bad sectors, is it a good software?

again, thank you for your time and I'll keep you posted

6. Mech_An

File System errors in not the same as bad blocks. They can appear regardless of HDD health.

CHKDSK fixes such errors and also marks possible bad blocks as unusable.
    HDD Regenerator is very good choice for checking bad sectors. But it can't help to fix file system errors.

7. obetskie

Ok thank you so much for the information. It will help me a lot in the future.

8. djom

djom Registered Member

FYI had exactly the same issue on a Seagate 320GB drive which had a (single) bad sector.
    Found solution by running the SeaTool for DOS utility from Seagate (runs from a bootable CD), "long test" which repaired the bad sector.
    Then I was able to do an image backup from Paragon bootable CD.
    I had the same issue with Windows 7 "backup as image" program which failed by the end.
    What I fin d a bit strange is that such backup specialized programs cannot accommodate of a single bad sector...

9. vashavoc

vashavoc Registered Member

I am getting this problem with 0x80 at the very end of the backup process. I have run chkdsk as previously mentioned with no errors found.

Unsure what to check next.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you suspect a HD problem add the /r switch to the chkdsk command line. No sense fooling around!

The switch /r switch will invoke a surface scan and check for bad sectors whereas the /f switch only checks the integrity of the filesystem.

Todays large disks will take a significant amount of time to read check all the sectors.

The OP seemed to indicate Paragon being used on various machines which might imply booting the CD. If so, there may be a problem with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.