Error 00040004 Disk is full

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by floridelphia11, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floridelphia11

floridelphia11 Registered Member

I received this message at the end of an incremental back up. it is not the first incremental back, maybe the 4th or 5th. I have not received this message before until the backup.

I read a old thread in which the poster said that if he deleted the old backup and its incremental parts, the 'new' back up proceeded to successful completion. He commented that he thought that Acronis would automatically delete old versions to make space, so he was wondering why he got the disk full message.

Someone replied and said that if Acronis backed up to the SZ, then it automatically deleted old backups. Otherwise, the user had to manually delete back ups.

So my question: Is this germane to my problem if my external hard drive
    1. has about half its capacity remaining and nothing in the trash or other reserved folders
    2. has been backed up to effectively several times earlier
    3. And what is the 'SZ'?

Thanks
    Roy

2. Givmeabrek

Givmeabrek Registered Member

SZ is the secure zone. A hidden partition TI can make to manage your backups. Should be explained pretty well in the instructions.

If you save to an external drive you have to manage it yourself. I only do full backups. Much more reliable in my view. I don't like relying on multiple files for a restore. Also sometimes these incremental, or differential backups can take a lot of room. You really have no idea how much room it will take until your run out of space.......:'(

3. floridelphia11

floridelphia11 Registered Member

Thanks. I deleted the incremental backups and did a full back up. Seems to have worked fine.

Does Acronis version 10 take care of deleting backups on external drives?

Roy

4. Givmeabrek

Givmeabrek Registered Member

If you put the secure zone on an external drive then it would manage it. I like having separate files I can move elsewhere or delete on my own. You never know when you may need a copy of a backup. But it could be done that way.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello floridelphia11,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that it is not recommended to create Acronis Secure Zone on the external drive; it is designed to use mainly on systems with only one hard drive. However, Acronis True Image 10.0 Home introduces a new feature - Acronis Backup Locations. This feature allows you to mark a folder of your choice as a backup location, and the backups created in that backup location will be automatically managed by Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. You will still be able to manage them manually as well, unlike Acronis Secure Zone.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version you will be able to fully use the program within Windows for 15 days. The bootable media version will have only restore function available.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. tI9user

tI9user Registered Member

Hi, related issue. How does one "delete" the backups in the Secure Zone on TI9? I did create mine on an external drive, and now I'd like to remove that. I can't find an option to either remove the backups or remove the Secure Zone entirely to force the removal? Does anyone know what I'm missing here?

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Use the "Manage Acronis Secure zone" to delete it.

8. tI9user

tI9user Registered Member

Hi, thanks, but as you can see from my post, I tried that and there's no option for deleting files apparent to me. I have only the increase/decrease size or delete Secure Zone entirely (found that one now) available from the wizard.

I am using an external drive and understand that there's possibly a bug preventing proper management in that case? If so, are there any workarounds for managing the files? Acronis will not automatically remove the incrementals, I presume because it's an external drive, so I'm full up at this time - no more backups until it's fixed.
    Thanks for any help!

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Mucking about with hidden partitions is not my idea of a good time. With ATI 10 you can set up directories and rules for how many files, or how many bytes ATI will store there. And then it autmiaticlly deletes the oldest file(s) when it goes beyond those limits. No hidden partitions, no secret files. You can get to the files with explorer.exe jsut like any other file in a normal directory.

Definitlely worth taking a look at since you can get the trial for free.

good luck,
    sh

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tI9user,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please see this FAQ entry explaining why it's not recommended to create Acronis Secure Zone on an external drive.

Please notice that the rules Acronis Secure Zone follows when for deleting backups are, as explained in the User's Guide:
    From your description it seems there is only one full backup in your secure zone. Therefore, to clear it we recommend you to create a new full backup.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.