Eric Howes -Anti-Spyware vendors & adware vendors

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by the mul, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

From Eric Howes:

Hi All:

We've been talking recently about a disturbing trend in the anti-spyware world -- namely, that of anti-spyware vendors partnering and working with adware distributors, the very companies whose applications anti-spyware programs are supposed to be targeting (see »WhenU Enters the Anti-Spyware Market , »Buying Legitimacy , and »Adware Vendors Running for Cover... ). In fact, in two of anti-spyware tests that I performed back in October, one anti-spyware app (Spyblocs/eBlocs) turned up as one of the detections instead of as one of the apps being tested. Today I happened stumble across yet another example of this disturbing trend.

A new application named Ultimate Cleaner bills itself as a free anti-spyware program (hxxp://ultimatecleaner.com/ -- note: link disabled because automated download is initiated by program's home page ). This application is quite aggressive in pushing itself on visitors to the program's home page (see 1st screenshot). Those who check the license terms, however, will notice a number of disturbing clauses ( »www.ultimatecleaner.com/terms.html ):

said by Ultimate Cleaner License:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * I understand that by accepting these terms and conditions, this program will be installed on my computer and my web browser home page will be changed in order to allow me access.

* I further understand that an accessory toolbar will be added to my web browser which will remain visible as long as the software is installed.

* I also understand that the toolbar and the bookmarked home page are inseparable from the software product I have installed, and I realize that the bookmarks and the toolbar can only be deleted together with the software.

* I understand that the software will gather information about me and the websites I visit ("Usage Data"), but will not collect information that will be used to identify me personally. This information will be used to provide me with comparative shopping opportunities when they are most relevant.

* I further understand that by installing and/or using the software I grant permission for ultimatecleaner.com to periodically display sponsors' websites to me, and to collect, use and disclose the Usage Data. The frequency of displaying the advertisements will vary depending on my use of the Internet.

* I acknowledge that the Software includes an anonymous user ID and an electronic cookie that enables ultimatecleaner.com to collect such information and to display advertising targeted at me.

* I understand that ultimatecleaner.com does not control my interaction with the websites and advertisements displayed to me, and assumes no responsibility for their content or privacy practices and policies whatsoever.

Full read:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12237221~mode=flat

THE MUL

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

thanx for the heads up!! they should put those guys in jail if you ask me...

3. the mul

the mul Registered Member

You are quiet right and throw away the key as well, but as u know it is an up hill struggle to beat them, but we will keep trying and never give up, just as they wont give up either.

Your friend

THE MUL ;)

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

count me in

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This stuff makes me sick. I'm glad that Eric Howes does what he does, though... he should be more widely recognized for all that he contributes.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Damn piece of spyware garbage. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.