Eraser software behavior

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Pfipps, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I was erasing files with eraser, and when it finished said it could not delete all of the files. The odd part of it was that after the erasure, weird microsoft system files would show up that weren't there before, only after the secure delete. Does it have anything to do with not erasing the cluster tips? that seemed to change things, but not all the time.

2. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

It happened again, I deleted a file (7 time overwrite with all three options at the bottom checked) , and after the deletion a file called sbe.dll appeared in its place

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

4. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

So it is normal behavior? Never happened before.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

This sounds like exactly what was happening to me. I found out that the problem is that there is a conflict between Dr Web 4.44 and Eraser. I uninstalled Eraser, because of this, and have started using SafeErase. Sadly though, version 5.86 does not fix this.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That can happen when a file is in use by the system - eg if you are erasing TIFs and your browser is still open. You can configure Eraser not to give these warnings. You can also sometimes close the handles in Explorer, using Process Explorer, to facilitate deletion of a 'locked' file.
    Are you using Vista? I'm not sure if Eraser is even compatable with Vista, you'd have to check.
    When a file is deleted, it is marked as available space, but remains on the HD. Restoration can recover these files if they have not been overwritten. Eraser overwrites files so they cannot be recovered by simple restoration techniques - only by forensic techniques.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

This was discussed here at Wilders not too long ago. Guys were saying that Eraser and other programs still leave some bits and pieces behind and that you can pull them up with Eraser. I tried it and there were some things left over. There were a few items that I recognized the names, but I could not pull up anything visible from it. But still it was a reference to something that was there. So it was recommend to use the "delete completely" function in Resoration to get rid of what was left.

8. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

9. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I am using AVIRA in Vista, so it may be a similar problem.

10. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

It's odd, the problems appear to happen with the newest version. I might have to send the author an email.
    The newer versions do work with vista. I even used it on vista when it was still XP with no problems.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Were you using 5.86 - RC2 (changelog) fixes a few problems

• Missing "Erase Unused Space" message in Explorer context menu
    • Free space erase when non-elevated under Vista results in files scattered all over the AppData folder
    • Some users could erase free space using the first/last 2kb option. The new behaviour (although the option could be selected) would be that NOTHING will happen, and all runs will report it as a failure. The UI could not be changed due to a flaw in the design of the program

or were you still using RC1? Pete

12. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I don't know, I was using the December 7th version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.