Eraser hangs on specific file

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ActiveBox, May 7, 2021.

1. ActiveBox

ActiveBox Registered Member

Hey everyone! Dunno if this is the right place for this, but the Eraser forums are taking forever to verify me, so I’m hoping someone here might be able to help with this.

I’ve recently been getting into the privacy technology sphere and I decided to do some experimentation with Eraser, using it to clear out deleted files from my computer’s unallocated memory and all of that. However, whenever I try to use it, it works for a time before hanging on a specific Windows Defender file (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Store) that I presume comes from a deleted backup or something similar. It doesn’t skip this file like it does other files it seems to not have access to, it just hangs on this file, for hours or more.

Since I’d actually like for this software to, y’know…do what it claims to do, I was curious if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if so, if there are any workarounds for it.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

let me get this straight. are you saying you're using eraser to overwrite your ram modules? :confused:

4. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Have you tried PRIVAZER?
    Any questions you have, Privazer developers would answer you right here in this forum.
    FORGET ERASER. That's what I did many years ago.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

This is a Microsoft-protected folder and you shouldn't have access to it at all and you shouldn't make any changes to it.
    By default Windows cleans them after 15 days. If You want, You can change how long to delay, but can't understand why should You change it.
    If You want to check, how long you currently have, open PowerShell as administrator and then use command
    Code:
    Get-MpPreference
    next find line where is written: ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay
    If You really want to change it, run command
    Code:
    Set-MpPreference -ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay N
    and set N as you want, minimum is 1 day.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I find Bleachbit pretty easy to use. After deleting you can easily set it to wipe/overwrite all free space. Only takes a few minutes to wipe any free space. Would that work for you? Installs easily and very small learning curve.

Bleachbit will NOT touch this file either!

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.