Eraser finished with problems..

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MatK, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatK

MatK Registered Member

Hi folks..

I'm selling a few of my drives and am in the process of wiping them.
    I first formatted the drive, then made a full drive TrueCrypt partition overwriting everything, formatted again and ran Eraser over the whole drive with triple pass.
    I believe that procedure is safe enough to wipe drive, correct?

But when Eraser finished, I got the following error:

Not sure what that is, so if someone could please help me out..
    Did Erases do it's job or did something went wrong?

TIA,
    Mat

2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

The more secure and fastest option is ATA Secure Erase command, I wouldn't use anything else to wipe my drives, specially if I wanted to sell them. Download Parted Magic iso, burn it to a CD and boot, then go to menu > System Tools > Erase Disk , select Internal: Secure Erase and continue...

SecureErase.png

More info about it : http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

System Volume information is wher Windows keeps restore points. I"m not familiar with Truecrypt, but if system restore is enabled, the system volume information folder was protected by Windows during the entire process and hasn't been reformatted or erased. System restore will protect all folder with that name. Either overwrite the hard drives from outside of Windows or, if you don't use it, disable system restore and erase it again. Erasing from outside of Windows is the better option. Partition Magic, D-Ban, and others will all handle the task.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.