ERAC Feature Requests

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by jimwillsher, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Hello

Two feature requests please :)

On the right-click menu when you right-click a client in ERAC, there's a "tasks" sub-menu. On there it would be *extremely* useful to have two new options:

1) Wake On LAN. Useful to wake up a remote PC. The console has the MAC address so it should be possible.

2) Remote Reboot. Last night I deployed ~120 clients with V5, replacing V4. Every single one had the "error communicating with driver" with the HIPS problem. I knew a reboot would solve it, but I had no way to reboot them. So today all 120 users have been told to login, then immediately reboot. I could have done this last night for them....

Hope these are deemed to be of use to others.

Many thanks,

Jim

2. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Jim, you can remotely reboot computers on the same domain (as long as you have administrative access to the local machines you are attempting to reboot) through the command line.

Use: shutdown -m \\computername -r (optional -t 0 for time 0, -f for force reboot)

3. jimwillsher

Thanks Geosoft, yes that's fine for local. But we have dozens of laptops with sales reps and they connect to ERAC via the internet (equivalent of port 2222). They were all told to leave their laptops on last night which was fine.....except I had no way to reboot them.

Jim

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Wake on LAN would be a very cool thing to implement and wouldn't be too difficult. So long as you have at least one live client on that network segment you could just have a task sitting for a randomly chosen client which then broadcasts the magic packet to the target system. We already do an in-house solution by pulling the client data for hostname and MAC address directly from the database on a nightly basis, but a solution integrated in to the software would be nice.

The one potential problem I see is that because the software works on a client polling model instead of a server push, you could experience delays up to the time it takes for the next client in that segment to report in and see the WoL task. But that could be minimized by making the job readable by multiple systems and deleting it after the first client reads it.

5. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

There are many tools that do WOL, integrating it into ERAC is not really needed.

As for rebooting the client. Can't you just change the package that you are deploying to reboot the laptop after you install? Change that command line option to:

Code:
    REBOOT="Force"
    That is supposed to reboot the computer after a client install I believe.

6. jimwillsher

Smacky

Yes I agree, would be nice. In our case there's already a live client - the ERAC/ERAS itself. It could generate the packet/

Rockshox: yes I guess so. But I wasn't expecting the need for a reboot until I'd hit the button :)

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.