ERA mirror not starting after boot

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by RobJanssen, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobJanssen

RobJanssen Registered Member

I have installed RA server 4.0.138 on two completely different Windows servers and enabled the mirror for updates.
    Everything is set to default settings (i.e. port 2221 for the mirror)

On both servers (one 2000 and one 2003R2) I experience the same issue:
    The mirror works OK when I have configured it from RA, but when the server is rebooted the mirror service does not start.
    When I uncheck and check the checkmark for running the mirror and hit OK the service starts fine.
    But I want it to run automatically in case the server is unexpectedly rebooted and I am not there to manually start it.

Has anyone experienced this and/or any idea how to fix this?
    There is nothing else running on port 2221, when I telnet there when the server has rebooted I get an RST.
    The servers have absolutely nothing in common except NOD32 EAV.
    (different AD domain, different (little) software installed, different version of Windows etc)

I have an open case about it, but I thought I ask here because the case tends to drift away in the "need more informations" direction, and someone here may just know the solution...

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

I don't know how to fix your specific problem but when we first installed ERAS we ran into issues with the built in web server serving updates. It would just stop at random times until we'd notice that none of the machines had received updates for a day or two. Then we'd have to restart the service and it would work again for a few days. I don't recall ever having problems with it starting on a reboot though.

What we ended up doing was not using the built in web server for our mirror. Instead we are serving updates using IIS on the same server we run ERAS. There is an KB article that describes how to set this up. Since then it has worked flawlessly for a couple years now.

3. RobJanssen

When it does not work, I also have the possibility of using the webserver inside EAV, rather than ERA.

However, I wonder why ESET would include a webserver in the RA (which already is a duplicate over the one in EAV), and then create something that is not working.

So I hope there is a solution for my problem that does not involve using another product.
    (which interestingly was also suggested by the technical support department)

4. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

What does the Windows event log say?

5. RobJanssen

Nothing.

In the meantime I have sent in a log of RA with highest level, debug log, and sys inspector info but it seems to be a difficult problem.

I would think a service that cannot be started would log a relevant message in some log (either Windows event log or its own logfile) but I have not found anything myself in those logs, I hope the support people will at some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.