EQS out of memory?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mele20, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I installed EQS on a virtual machine running XP Pro SP1 a few hours ago. It popped up a message a few minutes ago saying "out of memory". I noticed that almost all the paging file is being used and I have never seen anything like this amount of paging file use before on this virtual machine. So, EQS uses gobs and gobs of memory? Being a VMWare Workstation 5.5 machine this machine doesn't have a lot memory but EQS should not be a memory hog either. The virtual memory size for EQ is GIGANTIC. Why? I certainly won't ever try this application on my host machine!

edit: I just shut it down and the page file usage dropped instantly by more than TWO THIRDS! The machine had been very sluggish ever since installing EQS. Now it is back to it normal snappiness.

How come I was able to shut down EQS totally from the systray? I see no driver still running. That is bad. I should not be able to shut it down...the GUI maybe but not EQS without uninstalling it.

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I restarted EQS about an hour ago and I have not seen the huge memory usage this time. Paging file did not suddenly get used to its limit either. That earlier memory usage was awful. That EqsysSecure.exe earlier had a virtual memory size of 450,000K and literally ate all the memory. But after restarting, so far it seems ok with very reasonable memory usage.

I don't like that EQS is not a classic HIPS. That is what I want. Nor would I ever put it on my host machine (which is where I want an HIPS) without a help file in English and and either email or dedicated forum support. I don't mind paying for HIPS. It does have a nice GUI except that the log file font size is so tiny I can't read it so I really can't use this. ProcessGuard has a good sized font that everyone can read. I notice that newer programs seem to be intended only for youngsters who have perfect vision.

3. TVH

TVH Registered Member

EqSecure is a classic HIPS and in my opinion, it is the best free HIPS atm in terms of protection and coverage.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's right.

If you ask me i say the percentages are more favorable that the issue was not EQS but the virtual machine or the combination of running EQS inside it.

I have never experienced ANY issues with EQS since it's very first release, in fact it has never even crashed on me with the lone exception of the latest Beta 4.0 when trying to run it's Task Manager which i'm sure their aware of by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.