Epsilon email hacked

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by WhiskeyTime, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyTime

WhiskeyTime Registered Member

since Epsilon email was hacked I have been getting numerous spam emails every day that are not being caught or blocked by ESET Security. Has anyone determined a way to block these emails from various sources?

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. Since this breach happened just within the last 72 hours, details of how it happened, who was affected, and Epsilon's plan to remedy it have not been released AFAIK.

If this is a single machine with Epsilon email, outside of a corporate network, the options on how to stop the suspicious emails are limited. If you have a corporate network, perhaps there are security layers in place (such as a firewall, Exchange server level spam filter, content filter, etc) that can be utilitzed to quell the number of spam/phishing messages in your inbox.

Since you're asking how to block the messages, I would assume that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the variety of messages you're receiving -- i.e. sender address, subject line, source IP, etc. and therefore you have no way of creating rules or blacklisting them.

We could help you try to find a filter or set of filters that would cover most of the messages you're receiving if we have more details about the emails themselves. Please open a case with technical support to explore this further.

Thanks,

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.