Entire Windows XP OS is running extremely slow

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RCGuy, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I don't know if anyone is familar with this thread: Blue Screen Memory Dump, but I stopped getting BSODs, but then my system started to crash and restart itself whenever I was using Sandboxie and had too many tabs open.

However, now my system has devolved into being super slow where pages take extremely long to load....and now, my boot up is very slow. And at one time, the slot to key in the User or Administrator password barely wanted to appear upon start up.

However, I deleted my limited account and that helped improve my boot speed a little, but my entire system is still exteremly slow.

Plus, I'm using a 30 day trail of Emsisoft's Anti-Malware with the real-time gaurd and all, and I'm sure that that is contributing to my memory drain.

But all in all, does anyone think that this increased slowness is a continuation of the problems that I was having in the BSOD thread, or do you think that it is something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Also, I forgot to mention that these Microsoft pages would always come up after the reboot:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=250cf015-e817-41b6-85a0-99425b73c9e3

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=a915085b-86ad-4e58-ba1e-db62e4abc552

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

1. boot into safe mode and see if there is normal speed

If this is true, then suspect drivers loaded during bootup or applications being started (including services). Turn them off and one by one turn them on to find the culprit. A time consuming process one needs to be very careful doing if not familiar, especially services. Download pserv and export your current services as an .xml file. I like to use Mike Lins startup control panel to turn of auto-run programs, but there are other good ones.

If this is false and computer is still sluggish, start suspecting hardware. Go into BIOS and turn off anything you can (nic, sound, ports, etc). Reboot to safe mode. If still a problem, get memtest86 or hdd test tool and check those. To check CPU only trick I know is to turn CPU cache off and test, but this only determines if the cache is in error.

If no amount of these tests help, you have more indepth issue IMHO. Consider backup/imaging and reinstall. You can spend a lot of time tracking these things down, but time might be better spent reinstalling and tweaking/configuring. Make sure to use some form of imaging so it this ever happens again, you can put your image back on and not have to reinstall everything again.

Just my opinion anyway ;)

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.