enterprise version vs home version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

today I noticed my college has macaffe enterprise version which seems to be alot better than the home version. i had a quick look at the read only options.

why do they made the enterprise versions better?

why cant they provide the same interface and stuff for the howm version?

lodore

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I can't tell you why exactly and probably nobody here will know . It is well known that the big players such as Symantec/McAfee/Panda have their enterprise versions much better/lighter/more qualitive than the home versions . May be it is because companies pay them more and they make better products so they can afford better programmer guys and things like that . I am impressed from Symantec and especially McAfee EE compared to their home products

To be honest , small players such as NOD32 , F-prot , etc provide the same level of quality and protection for all kind of users(home and corporate) :thumb:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

they sure do. nod32 and antivir definatly do and so does f-prot. i hope nod32 and antivir stay good.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Me , too . I am sure they will improve ! [MOVE]:D :D :thumb:[/MOVE]

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

woops I forgot to put nod32 fan in my sig. huh my sig didnt work

any more info on nod32 3.0?

antivir has great heristics like nod32 and is light and fast scanning but the interface is eaiser. so they are both great but antivir can be used by anyone.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no offence to kaspersky but it cant match the lightness of eiether antivir or antivir because the scanning is slower.

7. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Configure KAV/KIS to scan new and changed files only. Then contemplate on your statement.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have done that but the scanning is still slow in real time and makes folders open slower than with nod32 or antivir. its has more impact on the system

9. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

McAfee and Nortons enterprise versions of both AV AND firewall are much lighter than their consumer versions. I prefer the enterprise versions aswell.

Also (I've read some where that) McAfee have a seperate teams for each version not sure about Norton. This is probably not the case for the relatively smaller players like Nod, Antivir etc

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , of course , they have separate teams , and of course , the same applies to Symantec. The corporate team is supposed to be the better one and the one who is paid more to create better program :thumb:

The only problem is that the definitions for ALL versions (home and corporate) are the same o_O

:D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye why do they make the coparate versions lighter and better. if the home versions where as good as the enterprise versions they would be way better.

its just annoying because as a home user i dont have access to the enterprise versions.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , they don't stop home users buy their corporate editions , its just more expensive . In BG they want me buy at least 10 users license to use Symantec Corp. but it isn't cheap at all .

McAfee has free trial version for its EE product (VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i) . Download and try it from here if you like , lodore :
    https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/free_evaluations/default.asp?region=uk&segment=enterprise

It is not a beta version :D

Attached Files:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks i might try that when my old system is back and running.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Unfortunately VS 8.0i is not designed for Windows ME , it is for 2000 pro SP3 and more , XP SP1, SP1a and SP2

McAfee's site says that VS 4.5 EE will work for 98/Me

I can't start VB 8.0i on 98se

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok lol. i hope windows me supports repair install.

16. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I always wondered that too. Heck, buy an enterprise version of Norton if you really want to use their engine. That version is light.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I do not doubt that your system operates as you say. However, I find it surprising as my full system scan with KAV6 and the option to scan only new and changed files scans in about 6 minutes. Now I do not believe any other AV can scan at that speed. I know NOD does not as I tried it, but have not trialed Ativira. Does it do a complete system scan in less that 10 minutes?

What kind of scan times do you get with Avira and NOD on your machines?

Regards,
    Jerry

18. echtp

echtp Registered Member

That is because the 'new and changed files only' hardly scans any file! You can't compare that with a full scan...

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

jerrym you misunderstand me. yes i know the scans are alot faster but, but im talking about real time scanning. e.g. i open my documents kaspersky scans it then it opens and can be used. then i close it and open it again and it opens faster because I have the scan new and changed files only option on.
    but then uninstall kaspersky (this is before the beta stopped my pc from booting in to normal mode) then i installed antivir. when i opened the my documents it was almost instant. faster than kaspersky with scan new and changed files only.
    this is because the kaspersky engine is still alot slower than antivir engine.

antivir doesnt slow down the opening of the folder because its scanning is so fast but is still great detection. i like the idea of "scan new and changed files only" but kaspersky should still make the engine faster. now i would like to point out opening my documents on my main pc is quite slow because i have f-secure, this odvisaly means it uses the kaspersky engine without the scan new and changed files only so its scanning the files everytime i open the folder. so its just using the slow core engine.

i think more av's should have scan new and changed files only option but its not a supsitute for a slow engine. if kaspersky had a faster engine it would impact less on the system. antivir doesnt impact atall because the scanning is really fast.

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just for general info, Trend micro has the option "new and changed" but it is called turbo scan.

21. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Lodore, you're generalizing without having the necessary info/knowledge. In my setup it launches folders instantly and i have no special settings, it's the default ones, you have some sort of conflict or something, otherwise it would be the same for you.

Another thing is that you have wavered back & forth between almost all anti-viruses in the market for months now, having probably several installed/uninstalled/reinstalled, so who knows what has happened with the XP install over these months (i'll just diregard your ME system). What i'm saying is if you made two new installs of XP and installed KIS 6.0 on one, AntiVir on another, did an on-demand scan (not with the scan new and changed files only option), you would not see what you describe after a couple of days.:)

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well put it this way i used that windows NE system for like 4 years and it was always crashing then i found it had malware. then today i found out it was a os flop and was only sold for 6 months by MS. i never really liked it. so this would probaly explain it. but then again it is an old pentium 3 system so it doesnt take much to slow it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.