Enterprise level "host-based" protection systems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Alec, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Can anyone point me to some good reviews, comparisons, and/or analyses of enterprise level, host-based protection systems? You know, products like McAfee Entercept, Sygate Secure Enterprise, ZoneLabs Integrity, Cisco Security Agent, eEye Blink, etc. Anyone have a good bit of expertise with these various products that would like to comment? Anyone have any experience with Determina SecureCore? Which products are a good fit for enterprise servers, any? Or are they mostly for corporate desktops?

Edit: And, of course, how well thought-out and/or functional is the centralized management capability for each?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Unless you give some more info on the purpose of your question, it's hard answering the question.
    What's the size of the organization, what platforms, how is you security management process organized. How do you organize stuff like software control and delivery? Is there already a mangement framework for central management. How's your desktop policy?

I could advise to get CSA, or any other tool but if there's no process in your organization managing the security process, it's a void advise.

3. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

I agree with Meneer.

How many PCs? What OSs are involved? Are they are in one physical site or are they geographically distributed? (And do you have to manage laptops on the road?) What sort of network? (Peer-to-peer or Client-Server)? Is VPN an issue to be addressed? Is it a Microsoft network or something else?

A lot of vendors have a break-point in terms of what products are available for what situations. Sometimes, it's at 10, 25, or 50 workstations. If it's a heterogeneous environment (e.g., Win 95/Win 98/Win ME/Win NT/Win 2000/Win XP), that can also be quite important information. Some solutions only work on Microsoft-based LANs, whereas others will work with other vendors' LANs. Some select (some specific) VPNs; others do not.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that there may only be one, two, or three options available to you in the first place. Consequently what you are looking for in the way of a calm, dispassionate comparative analysis may be radically different.

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Ok, I appreciate the need for more information, but I think that you are making this too difficult at this point. I was just wanting to know if anyone knew of any good online (or readily-available print) articles on these products. Gartner studies. Tolly studies. InfoWorld. Network World. eWeek. Ziff-Davis. Anyone? For initial reference, you can assume a faily Microsoft-centric environment of around 150 desktops, nearly all Win2K or XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.