Enterprise Endpoint Testing Results (Jan 2011): Real World Malware Blocking

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Having a hard time finding those results serious. :rolleyes:

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks, I needed a laugh. :D

4. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  5. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

My AV-Test results trumps your AV-Test result . . . . .

Sigh.

So why did 2 reports from the same tester (AV-Test) have 2 very different results? It is all in how you configure the test. This report was carefully configured to test Trend's strength - URL filtering and not to test their weakness - malware detection.

The Trend report is all about malicious URLs - no malware was delivered by email, USB, network share, CD/DVD . . . .

Trend's first line of defence, and their strength is URL reputation. They block known malicious URLs. Will they do as well with malware delivered by email or a drive-by download from a legitmate site that was hacked? This report doesn't say. The Trend product only had to detect 6 malware samples - because they had most of AV-Test's set of malicious URLs in their database. URL filtering is great, I'm all in favor of it. But it is not sufficient. Again, what if the malware came by network share, USB, email or from a legitimate site? What if the malware sample came from a site that Trend didn't have on their block list?

The bottom line, this wasn't a test of malware detection, it was a test of known malicious URL detection. Was his sample set of URLs sufficient? Statically significant? Where did he get it from? The report doesn't address those questions.

Oddly, in a test of enterprise products, AV-Test chose to test Symantec's older, SEP SBE (Small Business Edition) instead of testing Symantec's newly announced (though not yet shipping) SEP 12.1 for enterprises. He certianly knew of 12.1 - since he was testing it for us. But Andreas Marx never asked to use it in Trend's report.

His other reports (done for my employer, Symantec) can be found here:
    http://www.symantec.com/content/en/...rces/b-real_world_testing_report_OR.en-us.pdf

6. kmr1685

kmr1685 Registered Member

they need their own base to sell you know. :D

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

200 URLs represents less than 2% of my current live watch list and this does not include any 'stepping stone' URLs.

I post this for a little perspective on what 200 may or may not represent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.