EndTaskPro- a task manager/antimalware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

ETP (EndTaskPro) is discussed below. I am seeking Task Managers with similar EXTENDED abilities, especially in the security arena. Some others I am looking at are: (1) Process Hacker (despite the name, it's open source & legit), (2) Anvir Task Manager, (3) Security Task Manager.

REQUEST:
    A- Comments on ETP
    B- Suggestions for better apps in this category, whether free or non-free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been using ETP (EndTaskPro) (a freebie) for a few days. I find ETP very useful & informative so far.

ETP does NOT require a reboot during installation, so you can test-run it in Shadow Mode (or such). NOTE 1: Requires VB6 (msvbvm60.dll) runtime files. You likely have them already. NOTE 2: As far as I could tell, ETP runs on Win 9x & XP only.

ETP is downloadable from its own website (linked above) but I got it from Cnet Download.com.

ETP includes...
    +An advanced task manager
    +System performance monitor
    +Connection monitor
    +Suspicious process monitor (enables real-time monitoring of system, disk, Registry, and network activities of any specified process)
    +Popup Blocker (Hides pop-ups instead of closing them. You're given information when a pop-up tries to launch, and you decide which ones to show, thus you won't lose the pop-ups you want. It's invisible to sites that try to detect and foil blockers. Its design isn't based on a specific browser, so it will work on most computers)
    +Much more (I'm still learning all the bells & whistles)

Over & above the freebie, there is a $14.50 one-off paid version. The only thing it does more than the freebie is to provide detailed logs. (I'm considering it).

Shot of main screen follows (there are several other optional displays).
    ScrHunt01 28-Mar-10.gif

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive always liked Anvir. Its been given away a few times at GAOTD over the last year or so. ETP looks like a cheap knock off of Anvir.

I just came across Security Process Explorer by Glarysoft which has had some good software such as Glary Utilities. Its also free so whats not to like. Looks like its for Windows 2000 and up for x86 and x64 operating systems. It has a pretty clean GUI.

http://www.glarysoft.com/spe.html

Attached Files:

3. ha14

ha14 Registered Member

Does EndtaskPro uses a lot of resources?

4. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

I tried it on my machine. It did not detect some of the processes and start-up programs that WinPatrol and Anvir detected. Also, it doesn't have a database where you can cross-check the files in your computer unlike Winpatrol.

I like the tracker feature. You can easily view the cpu monitor, internet monitor, and pop-ups counter at the same time.

I am curious about its ability to log processes and windows terminated/launched.

It seems it can be portable too by making some batch files to register/copy (and unregister/delete after using it in someone else's machine) the required dlls.

Alternatives: Procmon, Anvir, WinPatrol

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Attached Files:

6. bellgamin

CPU usage by ETP is on a par with the cpu usage of Process Explorer -- i.e., a bit on the heavy side. Evidently that can't be helped when using an app that is monitoring so many processes at one time.

As a Task Manager ETP is so-so. Where ETP really shines is in its ability to monitor the actions of any specified process, and to give very detailed information as to the "riskiness" of those actions. I regard ETP as a "keeper" -- NOT as a Task Manager, but for its excellent & extensive tracking abilities in risk assessment.

Herewith are a few screenshots from ETP's many-faceted risk assessment component.. I don't have any malware so I will use K-meleon (a "threatgate") for the screenies . . .

Below is an ETP's summary assessment. In the lower part of the left-side panel, notice the various filters than can be used in assessing risk. I used all of them. Remember, this is the summary. (The second screenie, down below, will show some of the details.)
    ScrHunt02 29-Mar-10.gif

This second screenie shows just a small part of ETP's extensive risk assessment data. Each successive log entry can be highlighted for additional details (as I have done in the example below.
    ScrHunt03 29-Mar-10.gif

The third screenie show some of the corrective actions that can be done with ETP, if you decide that the given process is indeed a nasty.
    ScrHunt04 29-Mar-10.gif

A mentioned earlier, I won't use ETP as my main task manager. I have found something MUCH better for doing that particular function. However, since ETP is a small app, I decided to keep it for those instances when I want to dig deeper into a suspicious process.

7. whitedragon551

So is this a recommend similar software thread or not? In your OP you said to recommend similar products, but yet the talk is about ETP.

If you dont mind me asking what have you used to replace the Windows Task Manager with? I currently use Process Explorer. I had Prio with the Windows default TM, but have been slimming my OS down by elimination un-needed programs.

8. bellgamin

You are sooo right. It's just that I got detoured by ETP's unexpected "special" capabilities at risk analysis. By the way, ETP will hook the application that you ask it to monitor. If you are running Zemana Antilogger (as I do from time to time), Antilogger will block the hook (rightly so). If you are running Prevx SafeOnLine (as I do from time to time) then SOL will detect ETP's hook as a threat (rightly so.)

It is a case of a benign application (ETP) doing an action that is fairly typical of a keylogger & other types of spyware.

Meanwhile -- back on topic: @Dragon- I was aware of Anvir, but the your suggestion about Glary's Security Process Explorer was a new one to me. I am going to trial it in a few days.

As for the TaskManager that the Dragon asked me about, it is Process Hacker (PH). Despite its name, PH is totally legit -- an open source app of long-standing good reputation. Basically, PH does everything that Process Explorer does, PLUS it covers Services PLUS it covers Connections PLUS it does some other advanced stuff that I have to study some more before trying it. As it now stands, I might make PH my main task manager.

As to A2's Hijackfree -- I had forgotten about that jewel. Must give it another try in the near future.

Hola Dragon-sensei -- this is an interesting thread. Sorry for the detour. I hope you will comment further herein. I value your thoughts.

9. whitedragon551

Process Hacker looks like Process Explorer. Bellgamin how lightly does PH run on your system? Right now I have the Windows TM replaced with Process Explorer and it uses a decent amount of resources when its enabled via Ctrl+Alt+Del

10. bellgamin

When in foreground, PH uses ~10% to 12.5% of my old box's 1.7 Ghz Celeron cpu; ~2.9% when running in background. Working RAM usage is ~22MB. All in all, it's a bit heavier than Process Explorer.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. whitedragon551

PE seems like it uses less. Im still getting used to the new layout. It uses about 6-7,000K and uses barely any CPU cycles.

12. bellgamin

It does, especially on my outdated computer.

If you have Shadow Defender or such, try PH. It does some useful stuff that PE doesn't do.

13. whitedragon551

What can it do that PE doesnt aside from flagging items and giving them a security rating?

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Not in the same league as ETP but here's one similar to Prio
    http://www.extensoft.com/?p=free_task_manager

Works on XP and Vista. I'm unsure about Seven. I use it on XP as a replacement. I use Prio on Windows Seven but am thinking about dropping it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  16. bellgamin

Check out the Wilders thread linked by Pedro.

PH doesn't flag items or give them a security rating -- it is simply a Task Manager on steroids. I really like it!

@Pedro -- Hey, thanks for the link about PH. I had overlooked that one. :thumb:

17. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

1. I use Bill2's Process Manager (freeware) to manage priorities and affinities, and also to execute custom actions when certain specified apps are detected. e.g. kill a nag screen when program X starts. If configured correctly it should boost performance, not slow it down.

2. AnVir Task Manager Free, although I should buy the Pro soon. After installing new software I routinely start it up to "quarantine" any new auto-startups I don't like. Excellent all around process manager with many great features, but a little on the heavy side to run all the time. For example, the option to start AnVir instead of Windows Task Manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL did not benefit me because AnVir was too heavy to load and use when your system is freezing up prompting you to press CTRL+ALT+DEL in the first place.

3. Auslogics Task Manager (freeware). It has a feature to show you all open handles on a computer by location.

4. Rising PC Doctor (freeware). Great free auxiliary anti-malware tool, but it can also be used to check running processes and services on your computer against Rising online database and user feedback. I run this tool a few days every 2 or 3 weeks, or whenever I want a little extra protection.

18. whitedragon551

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You're welcome Bellgamin, and thank you for your find. I'm watching this thread with interest, and will test ETP tomorrow - the features you highlighted. :)

20. biscuits

hi bellgamin,

were you able to purchase EndTask Pro?

21. bellgamin

I installed ETP's free version for its risk analysis -- NOT as my ctl-alt-del Task Manager. I'm still considering whether or not I want to buy ETP's Pro version. I sent a support message to ETP's proponent. Their reply, if any, will possibly be the deciding factor.

22. biscuits

I tried checking it on Kagi.com, but it is no longer sold there.

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

24. bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.