endless 'analyzing partition' loop during recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by siriusbliss, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siriusbliss

siriusbliss Registered Member

I'm attempting to recover a harddrive that no longer even boots into Windows.
    I was in the middle of 'prepping' the computer to begin the process of migrating apps. to a new laptop.
    The recovery image is on an external USB harddrive.
    I am booting from the recovery CD.
    Shortly after the program began analyzing the partition, I got a 'bad sector' message. I hit the 'ignore' button, but am now seeing the Analyzing partition window running endlessly for 2 hours now. I simply want to recover the image to the harddrive on the old computer (that WAS running fine) before starting over on setting up the new computer.
    What step am I missing, and what ideas does anyone have on dealing with 'bad sectors'?

I've already read the manual and FAQ"s - and will re-read them again.

Thanks, and HELP!!!

Greg

2. siriusbliss

OK, so it finally made it through the analyzing partition phase (over 2 hours!), and now it is telling me the partition is corrupted!

NOW what do I do?

When I burned the image I did a successful test on it with no problems.

Concerned,

Greg

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Greg

I am a little confused as to your actual setup. This is how I understand your post...

* You have a PC, a Laptop and a USB external drive

* The system disk on the PC won't boot Windows and is reporting bad cluster errors

* The last known good image of the system is on the USB drive

* You boot from the Acronis boot CD

At this point I am not sure what you are doing next. Could you please go over that again.

4. siriusbliss

Well, I finally just let the system run through the 'analyzing partition' stage for about 2 HOURS before attempting to load the image off the external drive.

I finally got it to run, but had to back to an image from almost a YEAR ago because the other 3 images I had burned since then were supposedly corrupted.

At this point I've decided to reinstall Windows and start over. Luckily most of the installers and critical files are on backup media and or already installed on my new laptop.

In EITHER case I found Acronis slightly unstable. I verified each image I made on the external USB drive at the time I made the image, but now the last three are corrupted and I'm stuck with a nearly dead old laptop drive, and a bunch of programs I have to reinstall by hand.

Maybe it's all for the better, but just very much a concern that either ME or Acronis is doing somethine wrong.

You can tell I'm frustrated, but I just need to move forward.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.