End of NOD32 trial

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by djg05, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been trying out NOD32 for a few weeks and am coming to the end of it.

No problems with it compared to others I have tried, however having a two machine network at home means 2 licences at full price making £54, and that is too much to justify, so am having to move on to find another product at a price I can afford.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. Can you please say what other AV's have a cheaper price for multiple license?

Thanks,

Chris

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Hi

Since this is a NOD forum I don't want to mention other programs, but lets say B/D offer half price for the second user which seems fair to me. I think there are others but have not checked them through yet.

I have been reading through the A/V forum here and came across http://www.webmail.us/testvirus. I tried some of the tests and NOD failed about 50% of them, so that also has to be taken into account

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Gotcha. I agree you must use what you feel comfortable with. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks,

Chris

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you are concerned about price with a commercial AV, why not try out F-Prot for Windows.

The annual license covers up to 5 machines in the user's home and is $29/£15.

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - will take a look at that one

7. jstegmann

jstegmann Registered Member

I wouldn't go for F-Prot for home use. IMO the client offers very limited protection - there's only basic file scanning and no support for e-mail and script scan, which is hardly satisfactory.

Why not go for one of the free alternatives such as avast! in stead?

Cheers,

JS.

8. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

You can always use ClamMail (free) and ScriptDefender (also free) with F-prot to fill in those gaps. ;)

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Another alternative, if you like Nod32 then purchase a single or 2yr license for the main computer and use a free AV on the 2nd machine.

My $1.00 worth, 2 cents get's you nothing these days :rolleyes: :D

Cheers :D

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

F-prot is the original AV and Frisk has TWO world class AV researchers on staff. Most AV vendors have one world class researcher and some popular one have none. So don't fear that F-Prot isn't right up there with the very best. Yes, it doesn't have email scanning but so what? If you practice safe hex, you are already downloading the attachment to disk and doing a command line scan on it before opening. So, what is the big deal about email scanning? It is unnecessary.

F-Prot's main drawback is with its very limited GUI for NT based OSes. That will change significantly when Frisk issues ver. 4. They are taking longer than they anticipated to get ver. 4 out. They have excellent email support and you can't beat the price. I found F-Prot quite refreshing in that all the usual junk that is seen now with most home user AV systems is noticably absent. The only thing I really want is more ability for choices in the XP GUI. I'm awaiting ver. 4.

You might consider buying NOD32 for one computer and using something like Bit Defender free on the second box. I've been using BD free as my sole AV for about six months now. It has no real time scanner but has an excellent on demand scanner and it updates several times a day. Since I practice safe hex always and use the Proxomitron and Fx as my browser, an on demand scanner works great for me.

Another excellent free script scanner is http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/programs.asp?Program=Script Sentry

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks All

12. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

I've been using F-Prot a couple of months now and I've been very satisfied with it. Although there is no particular e-mail scan in F-prot it still warns me everytime I am receiving message with some kind of malware in it. I have tested this matter with many trojans, viruses etc. and everytime F-Prot has noticed the malware and then warned me. This works at least with following e-mail clients: Mozilla E-Mail, Thunderbird, Calypso and Foxmail.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I personally prefer Command AV over F-Prot as I feel its more tuned to my tastes :p:)

14. jstegmann

jstegmann Registered Member

Well, glad to hear that some users are happy :)

We've run an installation of quite a large number of F-prot clients - and it has been a true nightmare. More compatibility issues than I can count, and the protection has been well below standard. After trying out NOD32/KAV/AVAST we found numerous viruses missed by F-prot... :rolleyes:

We're getting rid of it altogether and going for something better...

JS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.