End of BlackIce

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tec505, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Best regards
    Mike

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Cool. Will check it out.

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I traded in . and got a new one year lic for Sunbelt personal firewall. The installation was so easy and simple. It presently runs very smoothly. It comes with HIPS,NIPS and Application Behavior blocking features. I had used Kario fw few years ago, and liked it. Now Sunbelt has made this app even better. As an unhappy former ZA pro user, I am glad to find a relatively sensible firewall to work day in and day out.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes. That is correct. I think in this case it was about the brand just not being viable anymore. Still I hate to see the "oldies" die this way.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Has this firewall's HIPS been ran through a set of tests? I would be interested in seeing the results as the firewall sounds pretty interesting.

7. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Like Agnitum Outpost, they are the pioneer in Window-base Firewall. Sad to hear that.

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

In the last Firewall poll, one (1) person voted for BlackIce. So I guess not much tears will be shed over this death. :) 'Oldies' have to die eventually you know, and this is not such a bad way to go. A generous offer from Sunbelt, I see Perman is quite satisfied. ;)

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, Seer, SPF runs very smoothly so far so good. Much comfortable than ZA pro and more updated than McAfee desktop fw 8.5. I had BlackIce for few years as a complement to primary fw, not a bad backup; it did stop few intrusions that main fw has missed . I will not cry its death over some one's shoulder, in the mean time , I really appreciate Sunbelt's generous offer. Finally I have a reliable fw to lean onto . I am not a pc tech, therefore I do not know how to conduct those tests requested by acr1965. Sorry. perhaps some gurus can take over from here? Have a nice one.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Perman. :)

These are basically leak tests (as this is request for testing HIPS). You could download a few, run them and post the results. :)

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, seer: I was able to d/l two tests: first one, leakage test by GRC, result=passed. However, the second one by pcflank.com; result=failed. I am using v.4.5.916. Why two extreme results? I have to shut down prevx2 and BoClean to conduct these tests properly, otherwise they will be blocked by these two apps.

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi again.:)

They test different things, two different types of attacks. You can see on this link so often posted that SKPF also fails PCFlank's...
    There are more tests you can download from Mr. M's page and try them yourself.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, seer, thanks for the links, it will take me few evenings to read and digest them, I will. In the meaning time, I need to strengthen fw's leakage concerns. I am considering DSA, perhaps its strength in leakage protection can somehow remedy SPF's deficiency. What do you think? Thanks.

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Honestly, I still haven't looked into DSA close enough to comment. I just saw it the other day for the first time. There would certainly be substantial overlapping between SKPF and DSA as DSA is actually a HIPS with inbound and outbound control... but not with a full firewall as there is no packet filter in DSA. I believe DSA would be a nice supplement to a packet filter (Windows firewall or Ghostwall i.e.) You could start a new thread though, there are some members more familiar with DSA (bellgamin comes to mind).

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI, seer, thanks for the help. I have prevx2 and winpatrol plus already installed, perhaps these two will remedy the deficiency of SKPF. I checked an article in castlecops web site, and have learned that DSA has no protections in these areas vs prevx2: Dll loading, password protection, default whitelist, blacklisting, community database and buffer overflow. I will await DSA's next version. Have a nice one.

16. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

BlackIce was known for its Intrusion Prevention, but even that is useless in detecting today's obfuscated drive-by downloads.

17. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

The f/w may not have passed all the "leak-tests", but your layered approach passed. :thumb: :thumb:

18. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

I traded in an expired/obsolete BlackIce serial number that I haven't used for years for a one year free license for Sunbelt personal firewall. I'm not saying this is the "right" think to do but it worked for me...

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does Kerio still have the resource issue? I remember reading that it sometimes ran at close to 100 mb's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.