Encrypting Personal Files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by phasechange, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi!

Ok, so I am planning on using TrueCrypt to encrypt sensitive data that I don't want to get into the wrong hands : tax returns, licence keys, letters, etc. However there are two threats that I can see (1) physical theft which this will protect against well, and (2) malware. Now there is limited protection from Malware as I wont mount the encrypted drive when not in use. However I have been thinking about the question of putting my Thunderbird profile directory in the encrypted volume. Is this a good or bad idea?

The weakness is that I would end up virtually always having the encrypted drive mounted so no protection from malware will be gained. However the anti-physical theft protection remains. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Phasechange

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello

Been only playing with TrueCrypt for a short while so i'm no expert but i would suggest splitting up your tasks. Create an 'Encrypted Partition' for your important things and keep a backup of your thunderbird profile there. This way, it remains completely hidden when unmounted and your documents cannot be accidently deleted. Then create a encrypted volume for your Thunderbird only as this will have to be accessible alot more often. And don't forget to backup your Headers in a few places.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

For passwords and Tax records I use BufferZone prevent accesss under: Configuration/ Confidential files and folders. I also have forbidden files (which I don't use yet) For records that I don't want seen at all I use truecrypt. I am fooling around with both as time permits. The Truecrypt forums are very slow, Bufferzone Forum is a little more busy.

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

thanks guys. I'll investigate these suggestions :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.