Encrypting my android phone

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by ad67, Dec 17, 2019.

1. ad67

ad67 Registered Member

I am confused as to the benefits of encrypting my android smartphone. Currently I am using a pin and fingerprint sensor to access the phone, and when the screen lock is activated and I plug the phone into my computer, I am not able to see the contents of my phone...until I unlock the screen with the pin or my fingerprint. From reading I have done, apparently someone with the proper knowledge can bypass this screen lock and still access my phone from a computer.

If I encrypt the phone, and turn it off, it will be in an encrypted state and very difficult for any one to access it. However, when I turn it on and enter my pin, it is decrypted, and what if the phone is on and available, but the screen lock is on. If I were to lose the phone in this situation (or someone rip it from my hand), would the fact that it is encrypted offer any additional benefit? If someone is able to bypass the screen lock, they could still access all the contents from a computer.

2. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Android 10 uses file-based encryption, so it should help for the vast majority of files, if your phone is on the screen lock

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Well, thief/mugger may want to turn off the phone, because connections to BTS reveals its location within some region. Provided location services are on and internet connection is enabled and some configuration options are set phone can send its exact location. Combine this with CCTV footage and it may let police see who stolen the phone.

It is worth to note encryption is quite lightweight for modern cpu, even mobile one.

4. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I wonder how much (if any) data can be recovered from unencrypted device after factory reset.
    Of course somebody can disassembly device and connect NAND Flash chip and read all unencrypted data before factory reset, but lets say thief or fence doesn't think it is worth it.
    Does anybody have some real-world data about what fences do to stolen phones?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.