Encrypting bookmarks of Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I use truecrypt to encrypt files. I want to encrypt the bookmarks in Firefox. How can I do that?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You have to move your profile to the TrueCrypt volume, unless there's a way to only move your bookmarks which I wouldn't recommend. Better yet, download and extract Firefox Portable into the encrypted volume if that's the only profile you're going to use.
    Both of those solutions require you to mount the volume to use Firefox with that profile. Alternatively, you can incorporate System Encryption (and System Favourite Volumes) so everything will be auto-mounted after entering the boot password. Of course, that has its own complications.

It would probably be more convenient to use LinkPassword instead: https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/link-password/

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I found linkpassword pretty poor, you can encrypt it but still see the title...

I think FDE or hidden os is best route for now!

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I havn't tried it, but "maybe" it's possible to use for eg Axcrypt to encrypt the BM's folder ? If you do, also use the scramble option to disguise the names ;)

I guess you could also ZIP them with a PW, or use TC to just encrypt that folder ?

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I use KeePass for bookmarks. I noticed that I already had many sites there (since they have logins), and I can visit the site by clicking on the URL field. So I added entries for the other sites without usernames/passwords. Of course that would make them encrypted, and if I want to switch to a different browser I only need to change the default one.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I like the sound of that. This would probably suit me more. I'll try it. I'll let you know if I face any problem. Thanks a lot J_L.:D:thumb:

I'm not comfortable with add-ons. I only use lastpass, ABP and No-Script. Don't want to use any other add-ons.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That would be very complicated for me. I have neither the patience nor the time for any extra complications as I'm very busy. Thank you for the suggestion anyways.:)

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'm not really into trying out new apps to get the job done. I'll stick with Firefox built-in feature.:)

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I love LastPass. I've tried KeePass. The way you're describing requires manual work. Not looking for any extra work right now. Besides, I'm very comfortable with Firefox bookmark manager.;)

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, I think it would work with LastPass as well. But yes, there is a bit more work involved since you have to add a site manually (as opposed to just clicking on a button to add a bookmark).

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah it would work like that with LastPass as well. But with Firefox bookmark manager I can separate the bookmarks in folders and separators. Much more convenient. Also it'd be unnecessary load to go through many sites that's saved in lastpass as logins just to find the ones I need and frequently visit that is bookmark sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.