Encrypted 3TB GPT partition, after some time the password incorrect

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by rid, Mar 7, 2015.

1. rid

rid Registered Member

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I purchased 3TB drive by Seagate and then decided to encrypt with TC. I did not want to have 2 partitions so I made on GPT partition. Encryption went smoothly since the drive was empty. There are two volumes: hidden and outer one. Over time I gradually added more and more data and yesterday I could not mount either hidden or outer volume. I am confident the passwords are correct but they are not accepted.
    Steps done already:
    1. Impossible to restore or backup header form the volume – incorrect password
    2. Drive in perfect condition – checked, no bas sectors nor any damage by dropping
    I noticed that the last time I mounted the volume there was about 700 MB free, so I had already used 2tb of space. TC displays following volumes:

Harddisk 1: 2 TB
    \device\harddisk\partition 1 128MB
    \device\harddisk\partition 2 G: 2.7 TB

My question is: is it possible to overwrite the headers with data when exceeding the capacity of 2tb?

The pass for the outer is 5 letter long and I have already typed it in invisible mode.

Please, help me on this.

Regards.

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Truecrypt doesn't support GPT, so it is likely what you are seeing is associated with that.

I'm not sure about recovery, have you backed up the headers?