Enabling Paragon Hot Processing ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by garioch7, Mar 7, 2014.

1. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

I am running HDM Suite 12 on two computers, one Win7x64 Pro SP1 and the other Win7x64 Home Premium SP1. Due to a backup speed issue that I reported in a previous thread and to which no one has responded (weird problem I know), I thought I would try to use Paragon Hot Processing to see if that would make a difference in backup speeds. I went in under "Settings" and to the Processing page, but Microsoft VSS was grayed out and there was no way that I could see to select an alternate hot processing method even though "Enable Hot Processing was selected. I realize that I am an old guy and I am getting pretty thick, but am I missing something really obvious ... ? I checked the help files and the googled, but came up empty. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Regards,
    -Phil

2. Volare

Volare Registered Member

G'day Phil,

I doubt you'll find PHP to be faster than VSS. You'll find VSS is designed in a way to exclude certain data it deems unnecessary, therefore backup images are usually smaller and the backup process is usually quicker in comparison to PHP. Having said that, perhaps there is something unique about your system that is leading to very slow backups when using VSS. Therefore, no harm in giving PHP a shot.

It sounds like you are not able to change hot processing methods in settings probably because the Paragon HotCore driver was never installed (or not installed correctly) when you originally installed HDM 12. From memory, the installer does not offer to install the hotcore driver by default, therefore if you followed the suggested/default installation procedure by continuing to "click next", you might not have installed the hotcore driver which is required for Paragon Hot Processing.

To re-enable Paragon Hot Processing, I reckon you will need to uninstall HDM and then re-install it (When you Uninstall HDM, you should be prompted to restart your PC, if not, restart anyway). I've never installed HDM myself, but it should not be too different from B&R. I can't exactly recall the installation procedure, but when reinstalling, you might get an option for a custom installation - I recommend you chose this course. Slowly go through the installation process and keep an eye-out on the options that are provided in regards to which components to install and what not install. You should eventually be presented with a step on whether you want to install the "HotCore Driver" via a drop-down arrow. Just chose install "all components" and that way, everything that's required will get installed.

Once reinstalled, hopefully your hot processing options will no longer be greyed-out and therefore you'll be able to chose between VSS or PHP.

3. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation. I am quite sure I just did the default install. It doesn't seem like switching to PHP is going to solve the speed issue. I have just finished running adware remover and junk removal tools on the laptop. They found some stuff. I am now running WD diagnostics on my WD My Book external drive and will follow that up with a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /r on the laptop to see if I can't pin down what has caused HDM12 to slow down so much. Works fine on my main tower.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is much appreciated. Have a great weekend.

Regards,
    -Phil

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.