Enable egui on startup

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zarzenz, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I accidently deleted the Eset egui from the computer startup list. How do I re-enable it inside the program as I can't see a check box for it anywhere.

I'm sure there has to be a way to do this without having to re-install.

2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

["I accidently deleted the Eset egui from the computer startup list"]

Til the experts show-up, here's a guess: To be sure which "computer start-up list" you mean, if you do Start/Run/msconfig/Start-up tab...... is [egui] in that list and, if so, is it checked?

3. zarzenz

Hi COSMO26,

Yes, that's the startup I'm referring to but what happened was this... I was using ccleaner to get some of the junk ones out of there like adobe etc but for some reason I had selected the egui and clicked on delete resulting in it being removed from the msconfig startup tab.

So now when I boot I don't get Eset in my tray. It's still running of course and I can start it manually to check things but it would be nice to get it back correctly as the program intended. I feel sure that somewhere in the settings there will be a check box. I must admit that navigating the eset settings is not easy and I do wonder if maybe this whole section of the program could be simplifed in a future program build.

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "egui"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ESET\\ESET Smart Security\\egui.exe\" /hide /waitservice"

Paste this into notepad and Save as >Type: All Files > egui.reg
    Then just double click and allow it to merge into the registry or right click and run as administrator for Vista or Win 7.

**If ESS is not installed on C drive, just change C:\\ to the desired drive.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. zarzenz

Hi stackz,

I did that as you said, but when I tried to import it I got an error message saying that the specified file is not a registry script and can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

I am using Win 7 and I did right click but all it said was merge but then I got the above error.

I am also thinking maybe I could do an over the top reinstall of Eset keeping all my settings intact... a bit like when we do a new build install. Maybe this will restore the deleted registry script... unless there is another way to import it manually. I'm quite happy going into regedit... done lots of work in there in the past.

6. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Right click the reg file, select edit and make sure that the top line reads -
    The error you describe is usually as a result of this line missing. Seems you likely didn't copy the entire contents of the code box from my previous post. :)

7. zarzenz

Yes, you are correct.

For some reason I didn't copy that in... sorry about that.

I have now copied the complete text and it worked perfectly and merged back in there.

Thank you stackz very much... it's so good when someone with your level of knowledge comes in here with this kind of excellent advice to get these little issues sorted out so quickly.

It's now back as it should be again.

Have a great day there.

zarzenz

8. stackz

stackz Registered Member

zarzenz,

you're most welcome. I'm glad you're problems are resolved.

kind regards and have a great day too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.