Emsisoft Online Armor All Versions v5.1.0.1331 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Emsisoft Online Armor All Versions v5.1.0.1331 Released
    7th September 2011

What is new in Online Armor 5.1
    Greatly increased compatibility and stability with other applications
    We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others.
    Overhauled white list settings
    We changed the white list settings slightly. In addition it is now possible to optionally trust all digitally signed files that were signed using a certificate that hasn't been used in connection with fraudulent or malicious activities in the past.
    New upload feature
    You are not sure about a certain program? You can now easily upload it to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and get the file scanned using Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
    More than 100 other bug fixes
    More than 100 reported bugs and issues in Online Armor 5.0 are fixed in 5.1. Those fixes include for example a recently reported vulnerability with Sinowal drive-by downloads, freezes during the SCW, freezes when executing applications from network shares, various Online Armor GUI freezes, cases where Online Armor forgot about certain application rules as well as many others.
    How do I install Online Armor 5.1
    Just download and execute the setup linked above. If Online Armor was already installed and you don't want to lose your settings make sure to choose an "Upgrade" installation.

Download: Online Armor v.5.1.0.1331

2. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

Looks good, It really need all those bugs fixed, I might try it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hmmm...
    My OA Free hasn't automatic updates o_O
    110917141145_1.jpg

5. operamail

operamail Registered Member

What version are you running? If it's not the latest, auto update probably won't work. Auto update feature for free version comes only available only from the latest version.

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Of course it's latest 5.1.0.1331 version downloaded today from OA site. I don't know why I haven't automatic updates...maybe simply they aren't yet in latest version? o_O

7. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Perhaps I'm not seeing your graphic right. Can't you select "every hour?"

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I don't understand..."automatic" means automatic not every hour. "Every hour" I have used in previous versions and about latest Emsi speaks "Automatic updates now available in the Freeware version: Users of the Freeware version can also take advantage of automatic updates."
    There aren't others uptades opitions besides those in screenshot.
    Have someone the same?

9. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Well, to me, "automatic" means you don't have to manually do it yourself. Why wouldn't "every hour" satisfy that? Either way, I've used the paid product forever and that's all I've ever seen. How much more frequently would you expect a firewall to update?

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Perhaps the term "automatic" wasn't used in the best possible context but what it's letting you know is that you will now receive the applicable updates without having to download and install a newer version of OA (as in the past)...that said, you'll still have to allow the program access via one of the available update frequencies. Certainly a most appreciated feature imho since the previous version of the program cannot download and install the daily updates to the certificate/threat database.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Well, there's a "manual" choice and scheduled intervals, the latter can be considered "not manual" and in that respect "automatic." To me, a true automatic function is alternatively described as a "push" from the vendor's server. As soon as an update is available, the client is immediately (within minutes) updated - not usually a feature of consumer grade applications.

Considering one of its protection vectors is white/black listing, I'd not feel comfortable with anything more than that one hour setting. Unless Emsisoft would specify at what time of day the daily update is available and confirm updates are never more than once a day.

Then there's Online Armor ++ with Ikarus and A2 engine integration and for the signature updates I don't consider a one hour schedule adequate. Those are updated 10-15 times daily in my recent experience with another product having those engines engines and I set the interval for 25 minutes. At times there 4-5 are updates within a 90-120 minute period. (And MBAM Pro at 20 minutes; their database updates 6-10 times daily, likewise often in sequential spurts in a one-two hour frame.)

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

For me "automatic" menas "always and only in this moment when is available and necessary". Emsi don't speeks about uprgading application but about B/W List...I conclude that from OASIS.
    "This is a major enhancement as the blacklists and whitelists are updated on a daily basis."
    If this is really not available feature so can I speak "it's only unfair marketing exercise"?

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

It has automatic updates like the most AV's for example,it will check for updates every 1 hour,2 hours a.s.o.But it's not like Comodo FW or ZA Fw updates,just 2 examples,which checks for updates without a scheduler.So i don't see nothing wrong here.

14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

In this context...it's my opinion...there is no difference between newest and previous version. But why have they called this feature "automatic update"?

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Because it's AUTOMATIC..you scheduled it once(manually),and after that...it's fully automatic...voila..:cool:

16. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

How's the system resource usage? :) Mainly interested in i/o (writes).

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that is how essentially every piece of software does automatic updates, through timed intervals.

18. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

If you open the GUI, then check 'History', then click on the 'Type' bar (perhaps twice), don't you see the logged times for 'Automated update completed' (or something like 'completed', perhaps 'succeeded', I'm not using english language).

My free OA version v5.1.0.1331, clearly shows 'Automatic updates completed' for the 15th, 16th and 18th.
    Just not yet for today.

19. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

An announcement of a major upgrade an outstanding product by one the industry's leading developers devolves into useless blather about a function which is glaring in its self-evidence to anyone with even a child's understanding in this category, even in consideration of a language barrier. Not only that, the developer is being slammed for engaging in an "unfair marketing exercise" when they decide to implement a premium feature in their FREE version. There is a quick fix: uninstall. :cautious:

With thanks to hayc59 for posting up the news, this thread needs closing. Please!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  20. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

With no disrespect intended toward anyone (especially those for whom English may be a second language), I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

21. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Looking at this...
    and at this
    I feel that I don't understand something...maybe for this reason
    And next...I have checked "History" today and OA was updated exactly after one hour what is the period of time fixed in updates options...maybe that is an "automatic update" - already I don't know o_O
    No one of you did not pointed at those new options in OA (newest version in comparison with previous)
    OA options.jpg
    and perhaps is it "clou" of problem.
    At the end...
    - thanks for all for your answers...each of us still learning something new
    - I propose the principle that sometimes it is worth using: "there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers".
    Nice day for all :thumb:

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This release is disappointing because the firewall still has a problem remembering rules. I can select "trust" an outbound program in the OA pop up what seems to be a thousand times in a row (and the program shows as trusted in the firewall settings). But sometimes maybe a 1,000 just isn't quite good enough? And despite the OA updates and upgrades since Windows 7 was released this firewall still cannot even get the systray icons to display correctly. If OA cannot display two icons in the systray because of restrictions with Windows 7 then figure out some way to have just one icon. That way the program at least appears to look competent. I realize this firewall is not for the average user. But it seems more and more like this firewall is for XP users, not Windows 7. There's no way I'd pay for it.

23. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

May I ask which application exactly is causing this issue? It would be very helpful if you could create a set of debug logs as well. To get them just enable debug mode, then reproduce the issue you are having and then send the resulting Logs directory in form of a ZIP archive to oasupport@emsisoft.com. Don't forget to disable the debug mode after that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  24. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Opening IE and Real Player Mini calls out. Despite being put in trusted it still keeps causing pop ups.
    http://codecpack.co/download/RealPlayer-Mini.html

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I finally got around to upgrading to 5.1.0.1331.
    I'm encouraged by the improved compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with Chrome and Sandboxie.
    :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.