Emsisoft GUI, impressions?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MultiVisions2013, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MultiVisions2013

MultiVisions2013 Registered Member

Hello All,

For those who use the Emsisoft Anti-Malware software, what are your thoughts on their GUI Interface? What are your likes and dislikes? What would you keep/Change?

Thanks

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

It has all the options laid out very nicely, with plenty of settings available which is a huge plus. I appreciate the fact that the animations are professional without being over the top (no radar or other gimmicky stuff). The only negative I have is that the last time I checked, it wouldn't remember column resizing in the log window. Overall, I think it is a very nice GUI. Honestly, I have spent such a little amount of time in it post-install, that it really isn't as important as I may have thought prior to becoming a customer.

Playing AOE II - The Conquerors completely trashes the tray icon. I can "recover" it by disabling and re-enabling all shields. I wish it would fix itself, like Outpost's icon does but it is obviously a very trivial complaint.

3. PeZzy

PeZzy Registered Member

The location of the file whitelist is not easy to find if you are not familiar with the program. It is located under the "file guard" section when it's meant to whitelist programs under the file guard and/or behavior blocker. Also having the application rules and the file whitelist in separate sections seems to be a bit of a hack.

In general, the layout is old school. Most AV developers have moved to a cleaner, perhaps Metro-ish interface.

I've been using EAM for about two years. The thing that drew me to the program is vigilant website blocking. I use MBAM Pro to compliment the blocking. Website blocking does piss non-technical users off, so most AV suites are weak in that area and give you gentle warnings (website ratings). I feel the best way to prevent an infection is to block rather than detect, since most AVs are useless against zero-day Java and Flash exploits.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I like it because its simple, and not retarded. Please never change.

5. guest

guest Guest

+1, it is very professional, not like some suite with childish design, big fonts and fancy "laser-style" animations that take the whole main tab.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No screenshots on your site for the unwashed to see.;)

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This is so true, probably the only thing i don't like about EAM GUI.
    I'm usually very open minded regarding programs GUI, as long as its not something over the top its fine for me. (Fancy/weird colors, amateur looks etc.)

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

For me, I'd have 'security status' tab where it is. 'Scan PC' to the right on the same line, quarantine and so on. All running along the top but keeping the same blue/white colours. (Although basic, Malwarebytes has the easiest menu if you've ever directed anyone to use the program - you just say, and next tab over go to XYZ. Directing someone on Emsisoft you'd have to say, and next category down, and click on tab - which tab they'd say? Microsoft Security Essentials is another which comes to mind for being the easiest to use. Same as MBAM.)

There's space, as clicking on each 'category', Emsisoft haven't filled each category with heaps of content, meaning, plenty of white space, the content could shift down (by 30 mm or so) to allow for a across the top (left-to-right) menu design.

Otherwise I'd leave it as is, take away the auto-hide menu, keep it fixed. Just would make the menu that split-second quicker. And easier for new users.

I'd also include a button 'Reset to default settings' - so if you muck around with some settings, can all return to stock/default at the click of a button..

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Agreed with Saraceno, I would also like to have a fixed menu. I like the simplicity of the GUI otherwise.

10. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

GUI interface is well designed,nice layout...But waiting on a new Interface w/ OA included...maybe some day...

11. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Don't like:
    1. During contextual scan the GUI is opened.
    2. Don't care much for Emsisoft news.
    3. I would also like to see a fixed menu and reset to default option.
    4. Disabling scheduled scan shows a warning with a red X in the GUI.
    Not certain if a scheduled scan is really that crucial.
    5. Pop-ups are all the same color. e.g., updates, detections, etc.
    6. No laptop mode.
    7. No Windows 7 snap feature.

Like:
    I do like how what is in the GUI is relevant to the version of Emsisoft I am using.
    I dislike it when companies decide to add irrelevant (or leave) features in the GUI where the only purpose is to upsell.
    I suppose it is against forum rules to name these companies so I won't.

I would also like to mention that these are just my observations and what I would like to see changed. None of these are deal-breakers.

Overall, I really like Emsisoft.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.