Emsisoft Anti-Malware as an AV replacement

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T-RHex, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

I'm finally thinking of changing my AV from NOD32, after using it since v2.7. It just seems to me that they are still focused on "old school" AV techniques and don't consider "modern" infiltration. I had to clean an "AntiVirus 2010" infection that got by NOD32 v4, and while I understand it wasn't a "virus" in the traditional definition, I don't think that should matter anymore.

I have long respected Emsisoft and A-squared, and am now wondering about using it as a real-time AV/AM scanner. With their background in AM I'm thinking they are better setup to handle modern-style threats, and with their built-in AV they cover "old style" virus delivery.

First question: any thoughts or experiences on using Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0 realtime? I'm not talking about on-demand or the free version. I'm looking at using OA as a firewall, for numerous reasons, and I've read they work well together. I have read some threads here that imply Anti-Malware is an execution-based AV scanner, not an access based one; however, I don't know if that really matters, or if it applies to AM 5.0.

Second question: are the two (Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5 and OA Premium) better than OA++ ? It looks to me like OA++ is based on the previous a-squared engine but I'm guessing it will eventually be updated.

And why'd they have to change the name? I think "a-squared" was much more unique as a brand than the generic "Anti-Malware" which isn't really a product name but a category! And they had the terrific "a2" abbreviation that was so much easier to type!

Thanks,
    TR

2. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

I just say that both A-squared free and AntiMalware has alot of FP and they are realy slow at scanning a 40GB HD.

Avast Free(realtime)+ Malwarebytes Antimalware(on-demand) is better alternative if you wanna a good AV with better performance.

or

Avira Free(realtime) + MBAM

its my recomandation and I think those AV's are better than A-squared/AntiMalware.

3. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Emsisoft is one of the best AV's on the market. It has few FP's but we can say this about all the AV's that have high detection rate.

Very light on system.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

5. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Since Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0 release you can choose between OnExecution scan and full onAccess scans. It's a full antivirus now.

OA++ uses the full Anti-Malware dualengine with the same signatures. But OA++ does not feature a full configurable on demand scanner. It's just a simple disk scan which you can configure Anti-Malware much more granular.

That was a strategic long term marketing decision. Imagine that most users of the software are not geeks. The term a-squared reminds more on a mathematical software than an antivirus product. We want to grow the company name "Emsisoft" rather than a-squared.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm currently running OA++ and MBAM. As far as EAM 5 being better than OA++, it all depends on what you want. OA++ has the same scanning engine as EAM but it doens't have the new read and on access scanning. It scans files on execution only. OA++ has its HIPS, web guard and RUN safer. EAM has the IDS and surf protection. OA++ runs HIPS and EAM runs BB. You really can't go wrong with either. OA premium and EAM do play well together. EAM and MBAM don't play well.....I know by personal experiance. I like EAM scanning engine and dection. I also like MBAM. I can't run OA, EAM and MBAM together so.....I have OA++ and MBAM.

7. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I'm running EAM and MBAM Pro together, no problems on Windows 7 x64.

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote.

9. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

Hey, thanks all for the input.

@SweX - Gah! I had seen that link previously but promptly forgot about it. Thanks for the refresher. It even answered one of my questions.

@emsisoft - thanks. I appreciate the fact that you're always lurking around here to answer questions.

:argh:

I miss those days when not "everyone" had a computer...it was like our little private club and malware wasn't an issue.

Unfortunately there are too many fake malware products that start with "Anti" ... so I don't know if it was a better choice. But I hear ya.

---

Using Avast + MBAM Pro was likely my alternative. But I previously had an issue where MBAM Pro was working fine with NOD32, but after an update to MBAM they conflicted. I figure the fewer apps I can run the better. Who's to know when an update to Avast suddenly causes a conflict with MBAM or vice versa.

I do like MBAM, but have also liked A2 (especially their perseverance).

Another question: if I install EAM and OA Premium together, should anything be turned off? Is it wise/necessary to run both BB (EAM) and HIPS (OA) together? ie. heavier load for no added benefit? possible conflict?

I should have mentioned: I'm running WinXP Pro, WinXP Home, and Vista Home on various PCs (4 desktops, 1 notebook, 1 netbook).

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.
    TR

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

A2 rules, you should try it man!!

11. icr

icr Registered Member

OA and EAM won't conflict infact they(Emsisoft) provide better discounts when EAM bought with OA pro;)

And I have tried the v4.5 with the OA free version and it didn't conflict:)

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

For me OA premium and EAM don't conflict. Once I add MBAM with OA premium and EAM, then I start to have problems. Not sure why. It hangs when I get past the logon and hangs when I get to the desktop. I talking flat out unresponsive. I was thinking about trying something like Panda cloud to run with it.

13. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Excellent program and anyone that claims False Positives are high have not used the product in well over a year . Scans can be agonizingly slow . But , it is effective . Top Tier choice .

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anyone using the Surf Protection? The default settings seem pretty noisy, I have it disabled at the moment.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

But the good point is that it allows to to choose to block or allow...:)

16. fax

fax Registered Member

I would personally go with OA++, just the best from both camps and all integrated in one package reducing any potential conflicts. OA++ does not suffer from the false positive galore (some users are reporting) in corresponding Emisisoft products due to the implementation of a internally developed white listing database (cloud based).

Just give it spin before buying to be sure it runs correctly on the system. And no, AV on access discussion is not decisive, you have to look to the full package that offers optimal security with little overheads.

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  17. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I just have to say : GOOD LUCK!!

I purchased a 2yr license for A-squard 5.0 It was many many many FP`s. It detected my integrated bluetooth as virus. I have a 14 days old laptop. It also stopped several of my services.

So if your not very sure about what is what on your computer, I would choose something else. Theire detection rate is awsome!! No doubt! But there are WAY to many FP`s.

18. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I can't even google something without several alerts, funny product indeed :)

19. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Check te surf protection configuration, it can block all kinds of sites, warez, ads, fradulent etc.

20. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I had to disable it at the end. I tweaked it little by little and just had to turn it off because turning off one by one (warez, fradulent etc.) didn't helped.
    It's just way too paranoid.
    It seems that surf protection is scanning for strings in connection socket and blocks the connection if it matches one of the "bad" strings.
    So, it doesn't matter if you actually visit "bad" site, you will receive alert / connection will be blocked.
    That's a nice idea but I don't know , maybe it's good for NASA or NSA or some other federal agency.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have none so far with the trial.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Been using it since like 10 months ago, awesome protection and only had 1 FP's :)
    Remember this is MY experience.

23. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I for one wouldn't consider advanced heuristics (code emulation within a virtual environment) coupled with generic signatures and the ThreatSense.Net cloud system old techniques. It's a matter of fact that no AV will protect you against every single threat no matter what AV you have and what techniques the AV uses.

24. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yep , you are right - 100% correct . We all agree with you on this . But is also a fact that other AVs do detect more than your NOD32.

25. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

So you basically mean either that: 1, you had used ESET products (v3/v4) for a longer period during which you got infected with several pieces of malware that was subsequently removed using other tools, 2. no AV program performed worse than ESET in av tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.