Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by emsisoft, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1 is a maintenance update for improved performance, detection, and removal.

What’s new in Version 8.1?

* Lighter real-time protection: Reworked File Guard and Behavior Blocker routines to reduce resource usage significantly, making the software lighter and faster than ever before.

* New Hybrid Updates: 95% less update traffic on average thanks to the clever combination of incremental and differential updates.

* Broader PUP detection: Special treatment of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), such as browser toolbars and buttons, allow for much more aggressive PUP detection and removal in the future.

* Better Malware removal: Improved speed and precision when cleaning infections.

* Improved accessibility: Optimized support for screen readers and braille lines.

Download: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

As always, the new version is free for all customers with a valid license and can be obtained by performing an online update.

2. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Good news :) I will try it soon :)

3. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Since a few other people asked about it already:

http://i.imgur.com/o4KxeJC.png

That is the new step we introduced into the wizard. Quickly explains what PUPs are and requires the user to select whether he wants us to detect PUPs or not.

If you have EAM already installed, you don't have to reinstall or rerun the wizard to be able to configure whether or not to detect PUPs. Instead you can just go directly to the File Guard configuration and change it there:

http://i.imgur.com/IeVdfdC.png

This option also influences the on-demand scans. If you have set PUPs alerts to anything but "no detection", PUPs detection will be enabled by default for all predefined as well as custom scans.

You can easily test whether PUPs detection is working properly by downloading and running the AMTSO PUP test file. If everything is working and you set the PUP alerts to show an alert, you will get a message like this:

http://i.imgur.com/4oCikda.png

If the test file is running, it will also be picked up by the on-demand scanner:

http://i.imgur.com/io1uJvZ.png

That's about it. So if you are confused about where to find the new settings, now you know. And you also know how to test that everything is working properly :).

4. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Very nice update, especially love the cleaner more readable alerts.
    Well done folks :thumb:

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Thanks for the informative writeups on the new features! You've made it much easier for me to enable this detection on my boxes running EAM. I think the screenshot you've included with the install wizard will be very nice for new users to understand. :thumb:

I just checked a couple OpenCandy bundled installers on VT, but neither was detected by Emsisoft. Will it take awhile for the new detections to be reflected at VT? Is the new sourceforge adware one of the detections? Is there a list someplace of the adware EAM is now detecting?

6. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

We decided to ask VirusTotal not to enable PUP detection. It helps to keep overeager lawyers away, that just check files at VirusTotal, have no clue how to interpret the results they get, ignore all kinds of additional information, and show up at our forums waving around with lawsuits.

I don't think so. In general we just created the technical ground work to enable broader and more aggressive PUP detection. The next weeks will be the time where our analysts will actually put the new features to work by extending the signature database. That will take quite a bit of time. There are tons of PUPs out there that we need to go through.

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

EAM is not detecting eicar.com test file downloaded using firefox 23.0.1. Addons installed are ABP, downloadthemall, google/yandex search link fix, no script with javascript globally allowed setting, zscaler search engine security. I have set firefox to ask for download location everytime. EAM works correctly if I choose to use downloadthemall in the download dialogue and also with IE 10. My OS is windows 8 64 bit. Also there are no alerts if I try to double click eicar.com test file. But when I try to extract it from zip archive it is blocked and quarantined. I have also set to additionally scan all files when read in file guard settings.

I had a BSOD showing APC index mismatch error. I am not sure if it is related to EAM and also now I have deleted the windows error reports and dump using ccleaner. I will keep EAM for some more time and see how it works.

8. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Fabian Wosar ,it's very impressive indeed...:D

9. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

im·pres·sive........

having the ability to impress the mind; arousing admiration, awe, respect, etc.; moving; admirable: an impressive ceremony; an impressive appearance

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Interesting. Appears this file has a way to get IE9 download checks? I went to site to download and received the IE popup to allow download to proceed. I didn't not select anything but immediately got the EAM PUP alert for the test file located in internet temp storage. Appears PUP scanner is accessing upon create which is what I have EAM realtime scanner set at.

The only thing a bit confusing was the alert to restart and immediately another EAM pup alert identical to the first(?) prior to my selecting the restart option. I set the PUP handling to "notify and quarrantine."

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Smart move:thumb:. I believe VT would be interpreted as public domain.

12. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Try to disable the extension filter in the File Guard settings. Firefox downloads the files as *.part files first (which isn't included as an extension to scan) and then renames them, which is one of the operations the File Guard won't trigger a scan for. That being said, the file will still be scanned when being opened. Just try to open the file using Notepad for example.

We had one report about a similar BSOD. But those BSODs happened and continued to happen even without EAM being installed. Back then it was triggered by a Metro app ("Great British Chefs" if I remember correctly).

That being said, I will gladly look into any minidump you are able to provide if it happens again.

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

It is now very fast in my machine , finally :thumb:

I dont know what changed , but it really made a difference here.

14. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Glad you like the changes we made :).

15. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

That's an interesting insight. I had no idea this was going on - what a strange world we live in.

The new version upgraded fine and is running great here. Thanks!

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Good news :)

Perhaps it's better to clarify that in the settings or make a separate setting for on-demand scans. It's a bit confusing now, I didn't read this earlier and was searching for a way to turn on PUP detection for on-demand scans.

17. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Just downloaded...very nice! :thumb:

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Sweet! Better PUP detection and 95% less update size is fantastic. I think I already asked but when will these changes be rolled into EEK?

EDIT: Appears a new EEK was released today. I ran it and it asked about the PUPS, so it appears the changes have already been applied to EEK. Woot!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks :) Changing file guard settings to scan all files solved the issue with firefox :thumb:

So far no more BSODs :thumb: I will provide the dump if it happens again.

20. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Correct. It has already been updated.

21. siketa

siketa Registered Member

22. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

4.0.0.13 is the newest version. The 4.0.0.12 announcement in the blog is from July 12th when 4.0.0.12 was released ;).

23. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Oh, yeah...my bad....:oops:
    I saw "Posted on August 19th, 2013" right above the EEK title but it belongs to EAM announcement.

24. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Don't worry. I can see how it is confusing ;).

25. spywar

spywar Registered Member

So basically you will transfer cloud based signatures from AMN to database more often ? (I am thinking about the PUPs).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.