Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 closed beta started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fabian Wosar, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Hi everyone,

Since we just kicked off the Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 closed beta tests we thought it would be a good time to give everyone a little sneak peek of the new version.

What is new?

• New multi-core optimized scan engine
      The biggest change in Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a completely new and multi-core optimized scanning engine. As a result Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 is on average 450% faster than Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 when it comes to on-demand scans!
    • Direct disk access scan mode
      The new scan engine features a special direct disk access mode. Using this direct disk access mode we are able to circumvent and detect all currently active file based rootkits.
    • Advanced caching mechanisms
      Another feature of the new scan engine is an advanced caching mechanism. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is able to learn from the files on your system, recognizing files that are trustworthy and skipping them in future scans if they haven't changed. Due to this the performance impact of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware File Guard has been greatly reduced.
    • Drastically improved boot times
      Due to several optimizations we made, we were able to drastically reduce the impact Emsisoft Anti-Malware has on the boot process.
    • Internal rating system to further reduce false positives on well known files
      Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 uses the information it gathers from various sources including the advanced cache to recognize and prevent false positives.
    • Entirely new license system
      Quite a few of our customers thought the account based licensing system was a bit inconvenient. We took this criticism as motivation to switch Emsisoft Anti-Malware (and later all other Emsisoft products) over to a completely new key based licensing scheme. As a result you no longer need a special account to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Another feature of the new licensing scheme is a unique referral program that allows users to obtain or extend licenses by referring our products to friends and family.
    • As well as dozens of other small changes ...

Screenshots

You can find a whole bunch of screenshots over at the Emsisoft forums.

When will it be out?

We expect a release within the next few months. If you can't wait that long: We started the closed beta test today. So if you speak English, know how to use Windows, have a curious nature, like to break and get insights into things, enjoy discussing matters with like-minded people and appreciate the opportunity to talk directly to all developers and have a real impact on the product, you may want to consider joining our Tester team.

We want your feedback!

Have you started or found a thread about EAM 6.0 in a different forum? Do you like or dislike a specific planned change? Do you have questions about one of the new features of EAM 6.0? Don't keep them to yourself. Share them with us! Either by simply replying here or via mail.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Nice Improvements....Will wait for the final version

3. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Great news. I'll wait for open beta.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Waiting for the Beta version, too.

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Great news :D
    Can't wait for the final release

Just quick question : any changes on BB and surf protection?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Nice Fabian, I look forward to these changes in one of my favorite security apps. :)

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Sounds good. Can you indicate yet what the new scan engines are?

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Yeah that was my first thought too :D

Anyway - looking forward for testing this baby :thumb:

9. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

The engines are the same. Ikarus and our own one. But the way they run and work together is completely different. :)

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

You may want to address the false positive issue which has been around for a long time, not just the single product AV-Comparative test.

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks...!!! No Emergency Kit beta though...:oops:

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

They say:

So much for marketing blurb... :rolleyes:

13. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

We are working on it. The new internal rating system is just the first step. It will greatly reduce the impace false positives have on everyday use machines.

14. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It doesn't say there won't be false positives. It just says there won't be false positives caused by the heuristics which is true.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Lets watch and then say...:thumb:

16. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Glad to hear. You have a great product which also does exceptionally well on zero day testing. It would be a shame if false positives tainted your work.

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Great news! EAM's Achilles heel has*always*been*it's slow performance due to the two engines being in use at the same time.

Good caching on par with Avast or ESET would be a nice and most welcome improvement.

18. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

To be honest ESET hardly uses caching, cache (Smart optimization) is reset after a virus signature database update. Since with all caching a file has to change, in order for being scanned again. But what if a new virus signature database does add detection for the particular virus, but the file hasn't changed in that time?
    In my eyes caching can therefore be a serious risk, that is why I am not a huge fan of persistent cache, and more a fan of ESET's solution.

19. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You are just assuming everything scanned gets cached. Not the case really.

20. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Bingo, that's my only problem with this product.
    Will be testing the beta when its made public.

21. shadek

shadek Registered Member

ESET does cache quite nicely. It's just that it caches frequently used OS-related files. I don't know any more than that, but judging from the disk I/O used when I tried ESET 6 months back that must be the case. ESET and Avast have the same approach; Avast does cache frequently used OS-files etc but scans ordinary files after each definitions update.

Anyroad, if EAM introduce this kind of caching, I'm sure it'll turn out great. EAM does provide the best overall protection of all 'suites' at this very moment. Any performance gain they make would make me look closer to them.

22. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Mine too, it really slows down the system, otherwise it's great.

Will be testing new beta when it's out.

23. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Would it be possible to get rid of that nausea inducing spinning horse during scans?
    Also, from a branding perspective, the app needs serious work. The logo used for system tray icon is really good, please use that instead of a 'Trojan Horse'.

24. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Just click on the horse and it stops spinning.

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice, this new engine has been in testing for some serious time :DD
    Finally fully revealed :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.