Empty snapshot problems

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Diprivan, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

Sorry for such a stupid question. I am trying to install Win XP Pro on to an empty snapshot (My Dell system was loaded with crap). The install has gone ok but a number of drivers are missing (SM Bus controller, PCI device unknown & video controller). The intel network adaptor was also missing. I have also noticed that while using Opera or IE 6, the scrolling of web pages is not smooth.
    During the install I left my monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in. Do I need to unplug these during the install process?
    Thanks

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I also have Dell and it was full of crapp. So i also want to do what you are doing. Because i didnt know what drivers i need so i opened up a another thread here in wilders on software and services: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=173752
    If you look at post 6 there is link to program that might be useful for you.

I think it is ok to leave them connected.

Kristian

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Although you have installed Windows you still need to install the drivers, inf etc.
    I hope you have a CD which came with you machine to allow you to do this ?

Is this a Dell laptop or desk machine ?

4. Diprivan

Thanks Ciderman 77,
    I will try Drivermax.
    I am looking forward to a Dell de-crapified system!

5. Bio-Hazard

Glad to help. Let us know how it is going and did that program help you in anyway.

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

My Tishiba laptop had some sort of utility amongst the Toshiba tools to create a driver cd of all drivers, I'd imagine it can't be that hard to locate where the drivers are stored and copy that folder, when windows searches for "a better driver" it always searches one or two folders on the c drive before looking elsewhere, so I am assuming (dangerous I know) that native or imported drivers will be stored in the same place / folder on your c drive.

7. Diprivan

Long View & Ciderman 77
    I have used DriverMax to image my drivers on a previous FDISR snapshot.
    I have now reinstalled Windows XP Pro on an empty snapshot. I reinstalled DriverMax on this snapshot and reloaded a copy of my Drivers.
    System is now up and running perfectly (minus the crap)
    Thankyou for all your help

8. Bio-Hazard

Fantastic news. When i have the time i will do my reinstallation...so no more dell crapp.

Enjoy your de-crapified system!

Kristian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.