EMI Copyright Protection

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mikel108, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Ok people, I'm don't know what to think.

My wife bought me the Nickleback CD "All the right Reasons". I look and the CD has Copyright Protected all over it. I went to the site emimusic.info and searched the web, yet I could not really find out if this protection was a rootkit kind of thing. I think it installs a program. Am I safe putting this CD in my PC?? I am all for stopping stealing, but this is ridiculous.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Copyright protected Music CD's do not install anything on your computer. They simply have their contents protected (encrypted if you will) to prevent you from making copies of it. You can play it all you want on your system with no worries. I do it all the time. :)

3. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Thanks Capp. With all this stuff around about Sony, and not understanding much of it, I kind of worried. Thanks again

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

No problem. Always glad to help :D :cool:

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I own that CD and its clean.

PS, Yes it is rediculous. I can legally make a copy for listening in my car, so I use ANYDVD to bypass the protection, to burn a copy so that I can then play it in cd player to copy to minidisc, if I dont bypass the copy protection, I cannot optically copy, only analog to minidisc (royalties included in price of the actual minidisc) so I can listen to it in my car !

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I inadvertently bought an EMI copyright protected 'Coldplay' album at Xmas time. I wanted to rip it to my laptop HD as I was away on holidays at the time. Now (I think) it tried to install something on autoplay just as I was tapping 'shift' to disable it. Anyway, it ripped to the hardrive OK, and I later burned a song to CD just to see if it would.
    So I assume (and I'm certainly not sure) that the first time it goes in your computer it may kickoff the protection? I was certainly able to copy mine with WMP even though it was protected.
    Google EMI copy protection and you will find tonnes of stuff. Actually, isn't EMI the same company as Sony anyway?
    I grabbed that Lavasoft 'Aries (rootkit) remover' and ran it anyway.....came up clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.