Emergency! Well sort of, can you help my daughter?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

My daughter, who is working part time on her MBA at Boston U, uninstalled Office7 Beta today for some incompatibility issue she was having while working on a project. She had been using 7 Beta for several months and really liked it. She was using her companies lap top (XP Pro) and it also uninstalled MS Office. Apparently, the Beta must have installed over Office. Now she has no Word, Excel, etc. She tried doing an XP restore but it gave her the message (I paraphrase), there is nothing wrong with your computer, try an earlier restore point! Have any suggestions? My main question is: since she doesn't have the XP Disc, since it's a company computer and tech support is in Atlanta and she is in Boston, if she contacts MS and they see she has a valid copy of XP, would they give her a link to download Office? Thank You!

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Microsoft Office isn't free software, no matter which Windows XP license your daughter has activated.

I guess this is not the right time to ask why she installed beta software on a company's computer.
    Would installing the free Open Office be helpful?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ratchet

I am afraid she is out of luck. MS clearly warns you when you install that beta, that it deletes MS office. Having a valid copy of XP is irrelevant. She would have to demonstrate she had a valid copy of office and then they might help her. However if it was an OEM version of office, then she really is out of luck because Microsoft won't support that. She'd have to go to the computer folks. Her best bet would be to fess up to the company folks, and let them straighten it out.

Pete

4. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Sun Office offered their Office Suite free within the last weekend or two. It looks like a really good alternative to MS Office.

5. ratchet

From another site, a poster linked a 60 day trial of Office 2003 which seems to be working fine. This will get her through a busy week. Before informing her IT department she is going to cry to MS and see if that gets her anywhere. Apparently all of her important work things are in Outlook. Thanks all!

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

7. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Extremely risky, since none of the alternatives such as Open Office or Star Office include support for Outlook data files.

Her best course of action would be to get the Student/Teacher version of Office, since that can be bought for much much less than the other full editions.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, her best course of action is to contact her internal IT group, plead mea culpa, hope for the best, and never place another piece of beta software on a work PC.

If she is up and running now with a trial, she should spend some time collecting any and all potentially needed files (attachments, post office files, etc.) on an external HDD in the event someone mishandles things down the line (i.e. take the time to back things up NOW!)

Blue

9. wilbertnl

Sometimes lessons are learned only the hard way.
    No reason to feel sorry.

10. Peter2150

I guess in this particular case I was totally unsympathetic. I did the same thing(install Office 2007 beta, over Office 2003) with FDISR of course, and I got sick of all the warnings that doing this, there was no way back, without the install disks. That warning, plus the warning, to only use it for test, and not live production, must have popped up at least 4 times.

What the heck do they have to do, have a hammar come out of the screen.

11. ratchet

So, in the past month, three of us at work just got new Dells with XP Pro and our IT lady left the XP Pro Service Pack 2 Reinstallation CD. When my daughter comes for Christmas will we be able to reinstall Office with this CD? I assume it's part of Pro, right? Thank You!

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

No, that relates to the OS only.

Blue

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps her company will FedEx over night her a personal copy of Office. Surely a copy of Office came with that company PC :doubt:

14. wilbertnl

It Microsoft Windows XP is your CD player, then Microsoft Office is your CD collection.
    You need the player to listen to the CD's, but the CD's don't come free with the player.
    Please, read this again until you understand it.

Technically speaking, I'm under the impression that your daughter and you create more problems than you solve.
    Parental speaking, what's wrong with accountability these days? Your daughter made poor decissions, is she actually related to that company?

If you try to fix this with twists and tricks, what message do you send to your child o_O
    How does this playing around with software improve her grades, anyway o_O

15. ratchet

Give me a freaken brake mister know it all perfect! You obviously did not take reading comprehension!!!

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To all:

Deep breath Please....let's keep to the technical discussion and ditch any further less than appropriate personal characterization comments.

Thanks,
    Bubba

17. ratchet

Very sound advice!

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

No, the Operating System (Windows XP Pro or Home edition) is a totally separate program from Microsoft Office (which has Excel, Word, Access, Power Point, Outlook). The Operating system software is on a separate CD than the Office software CD. Both programs have separate user license agreements. When you get a new PC, you usually have an Operating System preinstalled and you sometimes have a backup CD for that program. Microsoft Office programs are an optional software item on a lot of PCs. They are sometimes installed on systems already when purchased and you may get a backup CD for them (depends on the vendor). If the software was preinstalled and you don't have a backup copy, then you could go the route of using a trial version or going back to the vendor to get it reinstalled again. Going to Microsoft about the problem may not be of help. Hopefully, your daughter did not lose much of her saved work when she lost the program suite. If she did not backup her work, I am not sure if it would be recoverable should you install another replacement program copy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  19. Peter2150

Ratchet

Short of buying a copy of office she is going to have to go back to her c ompany. If even you find someone how has office, and has their CD's if she were to use them, MS's activation scheme would probably balk at the activation, so she still would be stuck.

While Wilbert might have been harsh, he was right about one thing. The more you look for an easy solution the worse off she will be. It really boils down to two options:

1) Buy Office
    2) Call her company.

Thats the bottom line.

Pete

20. nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85 Registered Member

The side of my brain that handles scheming is telling me that you have a few options.
    1 look for replacement ie open office or shell out a fortune for microsoft.
    2 contact the company and confess
    3 contact the company and say that (insert excuse here)
    3.i excuses include ... got virus, someone else installed it while i wasn't looking, I thought we were allowed to install work related software on the machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.