Emergency Help Me PLEASE

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MRSCT, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

My son's account for ebay was hijacked by someone in the UK. They listed something he knew nothing about. They changed everything, passwords, security :oops: He went into ebay and we think that it maybe fixed. o_O

The new problem is with his gmail account. It also has been changed and he can't get into it. I told him about this group, there are alot of experts there that maybe able to help. We just noticed it yesterday for the first time.

If this is the wrong place to post this will someone place it where I can get as much help as I can get.

Anyone out there today :'(
    MRSCT

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would at least take a look at the below E-bay page that deals with these type matters....and actions members need to take.

This page---> Account Theft

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

and maybe sending an email to google's gmail support desk? I would do that too cause it's still beta I guess...maybe some prob with their intern security settings or something...cause maybe it helps them in the future too...

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

He called ebay yesterday, they called him back, we thought we had it licked, my son said that he can't get into ebay again.

It's getting worse :oops:
    Novice in trouble
    MRSCT

5. Infinity

doesn't sound good...but that won't help you any further...I would create another account @ ebay and send them emails from that account explaining the whole issue...just don't spam them with the new accounts ;)

6. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

If possible I think he wants to try to fix this account. He has something listed on ebay I think. Everytime he fixes it, they make a new account.

That is so scary. What are some ideas to protect one's account. My son is more savey on the computer than I am and look what happen to him. :eek:
    MRSCT

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

From the E-bay Account Theft link above:

8. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Have you checked for Trojans and key loggers?

9. controler

controler Guest

Sounds to me like a Keylogger.

I would try either or both "Trial" KAV Antivirus & or any of the Antitrojan programs like TDS-3 or Trojan Hunter. BoClean has no trial yet.

Bruce

10. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Please tell me more about the antivirus software. I have Mcafee antivirus on all and antispyware on 1 computer, I use ad aware, spybot. I've never tried anything else. Please give me the link to others that will help us. o_O

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

Here are links to the programs mentioned:
    • Kaspersky AV: probably the most comprehensive AV/AT available. It can slow some machines. Flags almost every piece of malware.
    • TDS-3: indiustrial strength anti-trojan. Should definitely flag keyloggers if present.
    • BOClean: this is the AT I run on all my PC's realtime. Very simple, very effective. I have TDS3 installed for diagnostics and difficult items, but BOClean is my mainstay while surfing. Can install on multiple home PC's (< 5) with standard license. Unfortunately, no trial, but an ironclad money back guarantee.
    • TrojanHunter: haven't used it. Many here do and like it. One of the major AT's available.

I have and use all of these except TrojanHunter (already have plenty of AT's, no need for yet another). If McAfee is up to date and functioning, I have a hard time understanding it not flagging anything, assuming the problem is with your PC and not some other route. McAfee is nearly as effective as Kaspersky.

Blue

12. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Good Morning Blue,
    I have Mcafee antispyware on 1 computer and want to change it to this one. I remember the problem I had earlier. As far as I know the Virus one works.
    MRSCT

13. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Sounds to me like snoopware's installed on your son's computer as well.

How it got there: P2P file sharing perhaps?

Until the computer's been innoculated of the snoopware, DO NOT use it to access private password protected accounts of any kind.

14. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I am trying TDS3. It has 5 locked files o_O Also it has Adware NewDotNeta(dll) and Supisious filename dual extentions.

It takes a long time to go through the drives, it's on D now.

15. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

Locked files just not unusual. You just need to look at the filename and location. Post that information here if needed.

Suspicious dual extension filenames are also often a nonissue. Again, it depends on the details. Malware sometimes tires to hide by this method, but there are many valid dual extension named files on a typical PC.

Delete the Adware entry found.

Blue

16. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Can't make internet work since I used TRS 3

17. Infinity

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Since you have deleted NewDotNet, which if i remember correctly messes with your connection, it might be a good idea to run the Winsock XP fix i'm assuming that you use XP, if not post back, there are utilities for the other platforms too. :)

19. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm not sure how to do what you want. As far as I know, I know nothing about NewDot Net and never worked with hjt log. This computer that I am using now could click off at any minute.

I am a novice and need lots of help with computer jargon. How do I add winsock to the computer without the internet. :doubt: I miss the other computer and am afraid if I get the other one fixed I may have problems like my son.
    MRSCT

20. Don Pelotas

You download it from another computer (library, friend etc, to a floppy/diskette) the link and execute it, you may have to reboot afterwards.

21. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

If you used TDS3 to remove NetDotNet, it may have broken the Winsock LSP chain (basically a series of handoffs in your communications chain). Even if you don't recall doing this, it sounds like the problem at hand. Further, the WinsockXPFix is simply a reset type of operation. If this isn't the problem, the fix will not create additional problems. This is an XP machine, correct?

As Don say, download that program from the link he provided. Save it to a clean floppy (should fit if it's the only file) or burn it to a CD.

I'd save it to the hard drive of the computer in question, it is a nice utility to have available in the future. It is a standalone executable, meaning you do not have to install it. Simply double click on the file. First click on the ReG-Backup button to backup your registry, this takes a couple of minutes, and then click on the Fix button. When it is done, I believe it will ask if you want to reboot (been a while since I ran it), say yes (or reboot, whatever gets you moving in this direction). The changes do not take effect until after the reboot, so this is a needed step.

If the loss in connectivity was due to a broken LSP chain, it will be restored after performing the steps listed above.

Blue

22. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Thanks for helping me. I need to hurry before this computer crashes. I'm not sure what I did. How did I bring up NetDotNet? I was trying to follow your directions on the post above #11. I don't think the TDS3 worked or I couldn't see any changes. I have windsock running on the problem computer and in the background system32 netsh exe. It just flashes the cursor.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  23. Don Pelotas

You probably didn't do anything more than normal surfing. If the WinsockFix restores your connection, then it would be a good idea to try a couple of the free online virusscanners in my signature. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.