emergency boot disk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by david banner, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Hi

Is it possible to make an emergency boot disk for vista?

Edit not sure if this applies to vista http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,44202-page,1/article.html[/url]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

3. david banner

Could that be used with the free version of O&O DiskImage to restore OS instead of the DI boot disk

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not sure if it can or not.

5. david banner

So....it might be possible??

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

7. david banner

Hi GF That was one thread i found in a search. I have O&O from a mag but I cannot figure if I should upgrade and buy it with the boot cd. If i could use an emergency boot disk to try it with it would be good but they may be two completely different things

8. GlobalForce

Not favoring less than fully functional trial's, take a look at this freebie. Several folk's here give it a thumb's up.

GF

9. david banner

Interesting. I find it hard to believe a 1.5 meg free prog like driveimage xml could be capable of making a trusty image as the commercial ones are much bigger,but i do not know much of imaging.

10. GlobalForce

*That make's two of us! :D;) Ping's another one I've been meaning to boot. What are your plan's?
    Is your drive partitioned or were you looking at creating an external image to restore from?

PS - Unless someone else jump's in there's no need to quote. Whaddaya think, I can't tell?

GF

11. david banner

Hi GF

I have an external disk which I want to image all my hard disk to

I have actually imaged it with O&O but not happy as can't get a trial of the boot CD. Pity, I like the interface of O&O.

When I started this thread i was wondering if any other emergency boot disk would work with the O&O so that I could see how it worked before buying. Don't think they do themselves any favours with their trial.

Would this rescue dvd work with O&O

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  12. GlobalForce

Wish I had some answer's for you David. That their interface was such to your liking, I'd open a trial support ticket and express your concern's. They might, if genuinely interested in securing a sale tell you whether it's possible without their bootdisk.

GF

13. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I think you can make an emergency boot disk from any imagining software. I use true image. I backup my c: partition it usually compreses down to 4 gb. True image creates a bootcd file which is an ISO. I open that boot file with poweriso and stick the folder with my backup TIB file in the ISO and then I save it to a DVD.
    Now I have a DVD that will bootup and have the true image recovery console and the backup image file in the same DVD.

If your backup image is larger than one DVD, I wouldn't bother with DVD's as a backup medium. To much swapping of DVD's and the time to recover could take hours.

Either way you do it, backup and recovery of os partitions is complicated and requires you do some test restores onto actual spare hard drives and then booting up with the clone. It's best to trust the program you will be using to backup your data.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD

14. david banner

Thanks for that link which linksto http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ as I did not get a windows disk. Will looklater when I have time

15. david banner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.