Email w/no message

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by taperino, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Hi,

I have winxp and on Outlook am getting an email every 3 days that only shows an envelope. No to, no from, no subject, no letter. Nod32 does not seem to be able to scan this then.

Here is the message source for one of them:

Return-Path: <newsletter@runbox.com>
    Delivered-To: <email snipped>
    Received: (qmail 18800 invoked from network); 29 Jun 2004 16:45:05 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO psmtp.com) (12.158.34.33)
    by mail.<snipped>.net with SMTP; 29 Jun 2004 16:45:05 -0000
    Received: from source ([<snipped>]) by exprod5mx119.postini.com ([<snipped>]) with SMTP;
    Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:44:48 EDT
    Received: from <snipped> by <snipped>; Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:45:53 -0300
    Message-ID: <R[20
    X-pstn-levels: (S: 0.00909/76.68449 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:98.9607 C:78.1961 )

I get this letter every 3 days and was told by my ISP the intent of it is to crash Outlook. Outlook is running fine, though now, when I send an email out on this email, I must give Zone Alarm permission which it never asked before. Is there anyway to clean up this problem?

Thanks, taperino

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I get this same thing, too. No "To"; No "From"; No "Subject"; No message body contents, etc. However, I am showing that NOD was able to scan these messages. I've always wondered what these were... o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  3. taperino

Mine has nothing in the fields at all. there is no text, no name, nothing so there is nothing to scan. This is what the email isp told me:

Hi,

That's a message that breaks most MS mailers.
    So this is like a virus type of email. This message from
    you actually was stopped in my spam filter...
    If you notice the "Message-ID:" field, it has an incomplete
    ID, and that seems to crash the MS email programs (outlook).
    So its probably a virus in someone's computer that has your
    email address in it.

Hopefully the new spam filters will catch this when we swap
    you over in the next month.

That's what they wrote, but I still don't know how if at all to stop or protect myself from these incoming. Thanks for help from anyone.

Taperino

4. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Tap,

Do you have Window Washer installed BTW?

If yes, have a look at my thread.... ;)

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I must have missed something. What thread? o_O

Edit: Never mind - found it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  6. taperino

Hi,

Hi, No i don't have window washer. (I just edited this thread). I just found your thread. lol

Thanks.

Any more ideas appreciated on these blank emails and potential virus appreciated.

Taperino

7. markusr

markusr Guest

hello,

i´ve the same problem in Thebat. I´ve running some plugins for dedecting spam, the outpost attachment filter and at last nod32 v2.

All of this things are now offline, the last one i´ve stopped was the imon. After that the mails which i received has body and headers again. Mybe there is the problem, mybe not, I don´t know. But for me i think imon do some unattractive things with my mails :( on my pc, so at the moment imon will be "offline" the next time. :(

Regards
    markusr

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I always wondered what that was, too. Good to know, I guess. I've also been getting a bunch that have return addresses, but the message id is in fact incomplete. I don't use outlook, so thankfully these haven't done anything, but it's not exactly comforting to know that that many infected hosts have my email (I get like 5-10 of these per day.)

I know my email address is being used for the return address for a lot of spam, so I guess it really only makes sense. I guess it's time to finally bite the bullet and move over to another email address. Too bad, I really like this provider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.