Email virus test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Franklin, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

This may have been posted before,but some may have missed it.Nod 32 beta got most in realtime,then some more when executed.

Test your email account's anti-virus protection by sending a harmless "EICAR" virus attachment to your mail server. The EICAR test virus is completely safe and contains no viral code.

http://www.webmail.us/testvirus

2. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

I made the test and sent all those 26 test mails to myself: I was very satisfied to notice that my AV program F-Prot for Win 3.16b noticed them all right after they dropped to my inbox. I did not even have to click them to open messages.

3. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

My ISP blocked all but #24 and #25 which don't actually contain the test virus. Very efficient :)

My free backup e-mail from a different ISP let the lot through. Linux then asked me what application I'd like to open eicar.com with when I tried to manually run it :D

Ned

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Do you have to pay extra for this virus protection from your ISP?

5. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

No - it's an option I can enable/disable when I log in to the web interface in the members area for my ISP (sort of an account control panel). It enables anti-spam and anti-virus checking and can be set for each e-mail address provided by them (I'm allowed 20 in total). They obviously have AV software running on their e-mail servers.

Not every ISP has these types of services though. My old dialup ISP never had anything like that. I've noticed before that some ISP's give you a lot more for your money than others. Personally, I would of thought that every ISP should be running antispam and antivirus software on their servers (especially e-mail servers), but they don't.

Ned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.