Email transfer to a new pc does not work!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pbelcl, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbelcl

pbelcl Registered Member

as i had to transfer all my settings to a new pc i installed trueimage 10 de on old and new device.
    made a backup of my emails with options "backup my emails" ant restored them on the new pc.

after starting outlook i get an error message that outlook has a problem and must be restarted.
    this problem occures at EACH start of outlook 2003. even after i bootet the pc new.

so i have two problems:
    1.) my settings could not be transfered and i have to make them by hand!
    2.) Outlook on my new PC does not start anymore!!

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

On the new computer put the OS instillation CD in the CD player and re install Outlook or consider getting Mozzla Thunderbird very feature rich. On the old computer export email (or copy them) to a folder labled documents in documents Folder (I don't know if outlook will allow you to export directy to re moveable media) and then copy the folder to a removeable disk (like a Zip disk; a couple of flopies; or burn them to a DVD just as long as you can then put that media into the new computer). To then reverce the process in the new computer make a new email folder in documents. Then in the new instillation of outlook import the contence of the email folder you just put in Documents.

3. pbelcl

pbelcl Registered Member

sorry, but i cant get out any information from your email!
    in outlook you can very easy transfer ALL information to another pc with copying the *.pst file to the new place!

acronis trueimage should do this with function "backup my emails", but it DID NOT!

the reason why i tried this function instead of copying my pst file was that i hoped acronis can transfer my outlook settings (signatures, programsettings and so on), as in demovideo shown!!, but it damaged my new installation!!

i could not find a solution as i wrote the first part of this tread so i restored a previous image and did the whole installation again.

i think there is a little bug in the function, maybe ?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I did not think that " backup my emails" function was intended to facilitate transfers from one system to another but then I have not seen the Video. Nor for that matter do I backup emails separately as I have complete backup images of my OS,Applications and data. These obviously contains everthing.

Windows has built in Import and export facilities as well as their updated file and settings transfer wizard.

5. pbelcl

pbelcl Registered Member

this function of my windows i tried also, but there is only a settings transfer for Outlook express. i did not find anything for outlook.

...anyway i did not know this function of trueimage i saw it in the demovideo and thought that looks interesting ...
    I do not think this thing functioned yet, at least on my German machine.

i made my settings manualy and thus the thing is settled ;-)

6. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

Get rid of Outlook and install Thunderbird.

lon

7. pbelcl

pbelcl Registered Member

no problem, and how get i synced data with my 3 pocket pc's :)

8. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

Put Thnderbird on those too.
    Using Micro$hit products (of which Outlook is about the worst) is daft in the extreme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.