Email Scanning Questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by graesid, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graesid

graesid Registered Member

I have a problem understanding the Email Scanning in NOD 32 V3 . I have been trying to figure out the various settings . I looked this morning at the counter in the Modules table and it showed zero for emails scanned . I have been using V3 for over 3 months now and have received many messages .

Going into the Email settings in advanced I clicked for them to revert to default and sent myself some test emails . The counter then showed results but here is my first query .
    The counter seems to inrease in multiples -for example most times when I downloded a single message the counter increased by 6 each time . For a larger message in HTML there was a larger increase in the counter.
    Why would this be is this normal behaviour ?

When I discovered this I was actually trying to work out how to disable Email Scanning because I thought it was on by the Icon showing in OE . However it seems that if the counter was initially showing NIL I must have turned it off sometime BUT I do not know how I did it . As I would prefer to to disable it can some one tell me the simple procedure what I need to tick or untick in the Advanced Settings

Graeme

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you want to permanenly disable the Email protection , in Advanced setup tree :

Attached Files:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

And this

em_prot_dis2.png

Then press OK to confirm the changes

4. graesid

Thanks for that information on disabling the email checking .

I wonder why the Counter showed no previous email scans , I am pretty sure I had not previously made the settings you suggest . The only thing I had set was for NOD not to attach messages to either incoming or outgoing messages . Would that affect the Scan counter o_O

Graeme

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The counter is being cleared upon every service restart . This means everytime you restart your computer or you restart the ESET service , the counter will turn back to zero

See mine :

BEFORE

before.png

I restarted the service ... and AFTER that (note , I don't use mail client on this machine and that is why the email scanner is always zero)

after.png

6. graesid

I do thank you ,I think that explains things . I do turn off my computer every night so that obviously clears the counter . I would have thought it would continue to accumulate .

Thanks to you help I think have things worked out now

Graeme

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome ! :thumb:

8. graesid

Perhaps I spoke too soon .
    Yes I can now turn off the email scanning OK but only until the next reboot of the computer, when the email scanning is reactivated .

Is there a further step to turn off the Email Scanning permanently or at least until I decide I want to turn it on again ?? ??

Graeme

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes .

We'll configure the protocol filtering so that no email application traffic is passed to the ESET local proxy . This way NOD32 will think that email protection is active but no email traffic will be scanned at all .

First , integration is disabled as per this screenshot:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199807&d=1210326749

Then ,
    newone.png

newtwo.png

newthree.png

and confirm the changes with OK

10. graesid

Thank you again.
    I really think NOD 32 is a great program but the configuration to do something like turning off email scanning is rather involved .
    I guess most people leave it enabled .

Graeme

11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I've got a question. Does NOD actually scan Thunderbird emails? My AOL, Hotmail and Gmail emails come through Thunderbird. Thunderbird is listed in the 'Web browsers' bit in NOD and has a tick beside it and it's also in the 'Active mode' bit with a tick. Protocol Filtering is set to Apps marked as internet browsers and email clients.

Are my emails scanned because the counter in the protection status module never goes above 0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.