Email Recommendations

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Trooper, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,

I am going to ditch my Gmail and Hotmail accounts. Looking for an alternative to them. A buddy of mine recommended these guys. -https://reagan.com/t2/ReaganMail\-

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

2. blinking_spirit

blinking_spirit Registered Member

You could always have a squiz here:
    http://www.emaildiscussions.com/

What about fastmail.fm though?

(limited personal experience...I'm still with Gmail because of all the auxiliaries - Drive, Reader (for now), Calendar, Chat...)

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

While Reaganmail otherwise sounds good, I wouldn't be too comfortable with a political provider.

It also seems pricey at $40 per year; you might as well spend a little more and get Countermail. Although if you happen to like their politics, you might consider it more of a donation than a fee for service.

4. Trooper

Im just looking for email to have a decent amount of storage space, and to get away from Google especially. Political or not, it does look pretty good. Countermail website requires java, yuck. How much does that cost?

5. Trooper

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey Trooper,

Mind if I ask why you're dropping them?

As for alternatives, I ditched Outlook Express when I acquired a couple W7 machines and went with MS Outlook 2010. It's a very reliable, feature-rich (as they like to say) program, that I recommend.

Edit: Oh, I see you wrote about Gmail, "to get away from Google especially". I understand. :)

7. Trooper

I mainly want to ditch Google for their practices. After that latest Google Doodle on Easter Sunday I am done with them. This coming from someone who has had Gmail since the start and am an avid Android fan. I am selling all my devices and will most likely get an iPhone. Yeah I know, it may be a step backwards but I do not care.

I still have an Outlook.com account. At least MS does not scan your email for ads though right?

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You mentioned Outlook.com, but you know I am referring to MS Outlook 2010 (Office), right?
    As far as ads, none in Outlook 2010. :)

9. Trooper

Yes understand what you mean.

Yeah I am talking about Outlook.com for sure. Wondering if any of you guys have heard about the other choices I've linked above.

Cheers!

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Someone else getting away from cloud-based email :thumb:

Mozilla Thunderbird would be my only software based recommendation.

11. Trooper

Thanks. I just need a new provider as well. Going to keep looking. :cool:

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You're welcome. Provider as in ISP ?

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Why (I was completely offline that day) ?

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Because they honored Caesar Chavez on a traditional Christian holiday I'm sure. However, anybody with sense in their head would know what would happen if they had honored Jesus Christ instead. Mass media outrage, interest groups and atheist groups would have taken Google to the whipping post, possibly threatened suing, and even more BS. Google should just stay away from political and religious figures when doing anything. Seriously, there's no winning in these subjects.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If privacy is your main concern then this probably is as good as it gets, and the good thing is they are both free! I would recommend riseup since it will be easier to use, and set up. -https://mail.riseup.net/ -http://tormail.org/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  17. Trooper

Ding ding ding we have a winner. This was the final straw for me, which is why I am looking for a new email service.

I will look at some of the links you guys have provided. Thanks much!

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What was the Doodle?

19. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's why we don't discuss politics here ;)

Riseup with Thunderbird is adequate. GMX is OK, but they spam you :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Man, this Reagan email service has an Android app too....would go great with my Obama phone! :D
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EsImNvbS5hYXZpZG1hbmFnZW1lbnQucmVhZ2FuYXBwIl0.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

23. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Me 2.

24. Trooper

I'm not going to get into politics or religion here, only because this is a tech site and I do not want the thread to get closed.

That said, if anyone else knows of alternative email hosting services, I am all ears. Needs to be compatible with Windows and iPhone.

Thanks.

25. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have email from Google, Yahoo and MS (Hotmail/Outlook.) I migrated from using any ISP email a long time ago because I change providers every so often and I don't do anything in email that I care if someone looks at it (from a provider perspective.)

I don't like the Yahoo interface so I seldom use it. I'm Android so Gmail is a required part of that picture. (I admit the Google user experience has been beneficial to work with (handy, easy, etc.))

I don't use my Hotmail/Outlook much either but a few things about it are nice. One thing I recently took advantage of was the ability to add email aliases to Outlook. You can have a main/core Outlook account and then create other email addresses that will flow back to it. (I think max 5 per yr and max 15 total??) The cool part is that the aliases are not Outlook accounts. So if you try to log on to them from the Outlook login page, nothing happens. Not perfect security (nothing is) but having an email address that doesn't have a web accessible login is pretty cool! If you don't use the core account email address anywhere, it has to be a bit harder for someone to crack it if they don't know it (of course as long as MS doesn't get social engineered into letting someone into your regular account using your alias!)

If I wasn't Gmail oriented, I'd probably go with Outlook.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.