Email Problems?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by The Maxx, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Maxx

The Maxx Registered Member

Well yesterday I decided to give NOD32 2.5 a try. When I'd receive email it'd put in that little email tag at the bottom of my emails stating it had been scanned by NOD32. Last night it stopped doing that but after a bit it started it again. Well today it's stopped doing it again. Why? Why is it putting it there at times then others it's not.

So if this isn't working right how do I know for a fact it's scanning my emails? Just odd that one time it adds it then for a good while it doesn't. Already scanned for viruses, used NOD32, KAV Online Scan, and BitDefender 7 free, and they find no viruses at all. I'm using Outlook Express. BTW IMON is enabled.

2. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Registered Member

You can check if Imon is scanning your e-mails by checking the total number of files scanned (in Imon) immediately before downloading your mail and then checking the number again immediately after downloading.

I've no idea why NOD isn't always inserting the message - 2.5 does it every time for me.

3. The Maxx

It's not working then. I just checked and it said 432 scanned, checked mail got 3 new emails and checked again still had 432. Something isn't right here, why isn't it scanning emails anymore even tho it's enabled?

4. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

I had the same problem last week. It would leave an email tag on some and some it wouldn't. Even one email that a person replied back to me had six tags at the bottom. I also had trouble with my mouse being jerky about the same time. I found out shortly after that, for some reason, svchost was having trouble accessing the internet through my firewall. After new rules were made everything straightened up.

5. The Maxx

What rules do I need to add/change to see if it works? Still think it's odd that it worked and just out of nowhere it stopped. If I can't get it working soon I'll be going back to a old AV or picking a new one. Need my email scanning to work right 100% of the time with all these crazy viruses coming out left and right.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You are still protected by AMON until we get this sorted out.

What email client do you use? Outlook Express?

Cheers :D

7. The Maxx

I am using Outlook Express. POP3
    WinXP SP2 Home Edition.

8. Blackspear

Are you bringing in any webmail based emails through OE, such as a Hotmail address?

9. The Maxx

Nope just my ISP email, only one address.

10. Blackspear

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com don't use a download manager.

Uninstall your current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

In my brief experience it seems to depend on the email type. If it has a wallpaper type background you don't get the stamp(Incoming). If you visit a web site and use your email client to send a link(outgoing) in a email EMON does not stamp it.

12. The Maxx

Well I did just that and so far so good. IMON is back to working. Hopefully it won't starting goofing up again. Don't want to keep uninstalling/reinstalling NOD32 over and over just for IMON. :)

13. Blackspear

That's good, and no it shouldn't happen again, I have started to see a few installation errors with this version, however I have been assured by Eset that they aren't seeing any more than usual between this version and the previous.

14. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

I have done this three times but IMON still wont scan incoming email, it used to work befor I installed 2.5

email client : Eudora 6.2, WIN XP SP2

any other ideas?

15. The Maxx

Well it's started the problem again. But I have noticed it seems to stop everytime I check out www.Fileplanet.com I think both times the last file scanned in IMON was http://ads.gamespyid.com/jscheck.aspx
    Any ideas?

***EDIT****

Well I just told it to "Repair now" and rebooted as of now it's working again. But something has to be done. Not going to keep telling it to repair and rebooting or reinstalling to make sure I'm 100% protected. Guessing that Fileplanet is goofing it up but who knows what else might do it. Maybe a aspx file?

16. Blackspear

Can you also try a repair, as found in post number 40 here.

17. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

That didn't work either. I think I'll live with(out) it, I'm not worried as Amon scans the messages on opening and seemingly closing as well. I was just used to seeing the message at the bottom of the emails and miss them a bit :)
    Thanks for your help.

18. Blackspear

Nope, not good enough for me, I want to see the issue resolved.

I'll have someone from Eset take a look at this thread.

19. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello nfgxon,

Are you getting any errors/messages in the Event Log?

Bandicoot.

20. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

No, none.
    Out of curiosity I just now replaced Nod with the old version with I still had in my download folder and the messages are appended. It would appear there is something different about the new IMON, which I have re-installed, and now don't have messages. Ah well, never mind I still like Nod ;-)

21. Blackspear

22. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

yes, each time. Maybe I shouldn't, but I have no idea what the options are for the other methods, perhaps I ought to have a look. The other three pcs in my family don't have that problem, but they use OE. :-(

23. Blackspear

Are you bringing in POP3 email or WEBmail as in HTTP based email such as Yahoo or Hotmail?

24. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

POP3 only.
    As I said I'm not concerned about it, my incoming email is scanned at the server already, and AMON scans it anyway. It's just curiosity now ;-)

25. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.