Email: Outlook 2007, Thunderbird 2.0, or web-based?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by veri, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veri

veri Registered Member

What's your poison?

I've been using Outlook 2007 since it was still beta 2 pre-TR, and I find a lot to like about it.

I used to use Thunderbird around v1.0 all the time, as well, but eventually switched when I got into beta-testing the MS product.

I love the to-do functions and calendar that Lightning+Thunderbird hasn't yet caught up to, and I don't think we can Bluetooth transfer contacts over from the address book to our cell phones in Thunderbird, so those are the two biggies keeping me from switching over to TB (or just keeping abreast of things another way and sticking with a web client only).

Just curious as to what you all are doing for your email and why.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thunderbird 2.0 hands down. There is no contest.:thumb: use web mail for trash

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thunderbird : faster, safer, etc... and I can move its profiles folder to my data partition to keep my emails, email-address-books, ... away from my 'dangerous' system partition, which is constantly attacked by alienware. :)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've always used web based email. I have one for personal stuff and another for everything else. I like how i can access my emails from anywhere plus i can also access and store files as well. Simple and convenient.

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

no matter how good thunderbird is........i still like web-based email...........maybe i am too used to it now...

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, for the work environment, Outlook 2003/2007 are very tough to beat. I never cared for Outlook until 2003 came on the scene. Much better interface, native junk filtering and on and on. The integration of Contacts, Email and Calendars is very smooth.

That said, at home I have ran Thunderbird for quite a while and in that environment, I don't think I'd use anything else. (The lone exception would be if I ran a Windows Mobile PDA.) IMO, it's safer to use than Outlook (which is a bigger/better target in a malware writer's eyes) and is much simpler to setup and run.

This all said, based on the items you noted, my guess is that until Mozilla has their calendar apps Thunderbird/Lightning or Sunbird farther along (which you already know about) http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ you would likely be happier with Outlook...

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The upcoming Windows Live Mail Desktop looks promising.
    I like it that my addressbook is stored online, solves any synching problem. :thumb:
    It supports POP3, IMAP4 and Live Hotmail.

8. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I have used Thunderbird at various times in the past and liked it - spam filtering, etc. However, I need to be able to access my email from various computers away from my home & therefore have been using & am very satisfied with AT&T Yahoo! Mail. Yahoo has been improving over the years & has ample storage allowances.

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

You could also use both a web mail service and a desktop client together by using forwarding. /C.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use a web mail account, and Thunderbird for a personal and professiona account...

11. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

As you know, Outlook is much more than an email client, so it's not fair to compare it to the likes of Thunderbird or web-based email (that is, unless you just use Outlook's email client).

Besides its email client, I find Outlook's calendaring options, tasks and notes to be one of my most useful PC apps. Seeing that you already have Outlook, why would you even consider switching to something else?

12. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I think Thunderbird is great but keep coming back to keeping everything in one system (i.e., Outlook with email, calendar, contacts, to-do, notes, syncing with web and smartphone, etc.). Plus, I can still access my email via any web browser when I don't have Outlook access.

13. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

If I could easily use Outlook 2003 and have automated templates for recurring text in email without having to buy add-in, I would probably still be using Outlook 2003 but have turned to what I use in my sig which is not covered in scope of this topic. I would like to have templates in Outlook and be able to use rules to automate things by responding to emails with various premade templates. If anyone knows of any good solutions for this, tha towuld be interesting.

Gary

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I use both webmail and Thunderbird. Webmail to read my normal email and Thunderbird handles the spam.

15. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Same here. :thumb:
    I use what works for Linux and (when the need arises) Windows.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I use web based email for all of my personal use. I do use Outlook 2003 at work. I don't use any installed email programs (even Outlook Express) because I don't want to fill up my hard drive with spam and anything else if I can help it.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've never used Outlook although I did look at my Mum's 2003 version when I was in South Africa recently. I used to use Outlook Express, but switched to Thunderbird a few moinths ago.

I don't think v2 of Thunderbird is out yet though, is it?

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its been out for about a month ;)

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Oops, you're right! I haven't looked at their Thunderbird page in ages, and I was away for most of April. The updater on my v1.5 doesn't tell me there's anything new to update anyway so I figured there wasn't a newer version. Perhaps they don't do that for a major release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.