Email notifications not being sent

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by tanstaafl, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Hello,

Ok, I've finished pushing out 4.2.35 to all of our clients, and just noticed that one of the systems had a warning occur yesterday, but I never received an email notification.

I know the email settings are correct - they are the same as they were with the older RAS/RAC/Packages and these worked fine - so, anyone have any ideas of how to test/troubleshoot? It sure would be helpful if there was a 'Send Test Email' button in the config.

2. tanstaafl

Hello? Anyone home?

I'd really like a little help troubleshooting this. Why am I not receiving notification emails when a client encounters a virus/malware?

3. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

You tested the connection with any other software (telnet)?

The function should work if configured correctly..

/Edit:

What was the specific error? Perhaps try with eicar (AV test file) to see if that triggers the action.

4. tanstaafl

Yes - I use the same smtp server (our ISP's smtp server) for sending mail from my personal account, so I'd know if there was a problem with it right away.

Also, it is configured identically to the way the old v2.7 version, which worked fine for many years, but now that I think about it, I haven't received any notifications in a while.

You would think, yes...

That's just it, there is *no* error. There is no indication whatsoever that a notification is even attempted to be sent, and there is no email received. I only just noticed it when I saw some Threat Log entries and realized I never received the email notifications.

I tried... saw the warning in my local log, but no email was sent.

I just temporarily changed the SMTP server to point to my internal linux server, and saw no connection attempt in the logs, so NOD32 isn't even trying to send an email.

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. tanstaafl

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I mean what warning you received on your console which should have triggered the e-mail notification. Thats why I also suggested the Eicar file.

I can test it out on the new client version later and report back my findings but I know it has worked fine for me in the 4.0.xx series.

7. tanstaafl

Oh... sorry... ;)

Here's the warning:
    Code:
    Name	Threat	Action	Information
    http://otkqrgchqfia.com/kav/kav2.html/oHddfa473cV0100f036002R7b7de24c102T9659ddb3Q000002fd901801F002d000aJ12000601l0409Kf7dacf02317	JS/Exploit.Pdfka.NUI trojan	connection terminated - quarantined	Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.
    Oh, I'm sure there's something weird going on or there would be a lot more noise on the forums...

But, the interface really needs a 'Send Test Email' button, along with *some* kind of feedback for the results - ie, if there is an error, just return the error to the interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.