Email Notification Fails Immediately

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SamG, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamG

SamG Registered Member

I've read quite a few items posted here on TI email notifications and I can't get it working either.

I'm using TI10 and configured my email notification using Tools, Options and then use the Test button and it fails immediately with the usual message indicating that the mail settings are incorrect.

I have around 10 email accounts on as many servers and tried to Telnet to a particular one on port 25 which was successful and yet TI won't work. I have the Zone Alarm firewall and disabled it for a test ... no help. I do have McAfee and it is blocking Port 25 and has an exclusion list. I do know it was previously blocking trueimage.exe so I added it to the list of exclusions. Now the test still fails but it doesn't show up on the McAfee log as being blocked.

I can tell you that all the SMTP servers I use deny relaying and I must set up Eudora Pro to "allow authentication".

Most of the posts I've read ignore the authentication issue as though no one requires it. Well I do ... and on all my SMTP servers.

Can anyone shed light on this and give me a hand here? Does anyone know for sure whether TI provides authentication from the UID and PW information I supplied?

It just seems that this should be a no-brainer, but it certainly is not.

Thanks in advance to any takers.

-- Sam o_O

2. SamG

SamG Registered Member

Did some more testing and tried around 6 SMTP servers I'm authenticated to.

2 or 3 worked and the test was successful. The other 3 or 4 failed.

Still don't know why but I did notice something unorthodox. True Image is spoofing the From: header to the email address of the To: recipient, not the email address of the From: sender. That may not agree with certain servers and yet be OK with others who rely strictly on the authentication of the "real" sender and aren't concerned about the "implied" sender.

Just a thought ... Sam

3. Hoon37

Hoon37 Registered Member

Can't say I understand why it works but when I had an issue similar to yours, I was told when entering my mail address in the notifications box, to enclose my address in brackets eg someone@microsoft.com was changed to <someone@microsoft.com>

Can't hurt to give it a try. :)

4. SamG

SamG Registered Member

I had seen that tip of surrounding the email address with <> but I'm afraid it made no difference for me.

I'm baffled because the various SMTP servers I use are responding differently. Half work and the other half don't. There must be some other factor in play here.

Thanks ... Sam

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SamG,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please try the following:
    - Encasing the email address in < > brackets;
    - Leaving the username and password fields blank;

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. SamG

SamG Registered Member

Thanks for your help but I'm still a bit frustrated with how this works. To me it's not intuitive.

As I said before it works with some of my mail servers but not with others.

I took one of them that works and removed the userid and password and yet it still worked. That doesn't make sense to me because those servers require authentication to send mail to prevent email relaying ... and yet it still worked.

Anyway, I put the userid and password back in and did the test again and the test worked. But after the successful backup it did NOT send the confirmation message. It's totally beyond me why the test would work and the "real thing" not work. o_O

Finally, I notice that in all cases (using test) the From: address matches the recipient's To: address on the email even though I'm not using the SMTP server of the recipient. That by itself I should think would make some SMTP servers unhappy.

Quite mysterious, all of this. Especially not receiving the real notification when the same parameters as the test notification are used.

Sam :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.