Email, Non-Java and through Tor ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AstroMan, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AstroMan

AstroMan Registered Member

Hi, firstly my first post to thanks for a very useful site!

I use Tor to access the internet mainly and have been using a web-based email site to send some emails to friends with info they shouldn't be allowed hence i want to hide where they getting there info from. Although i may have already broke that idea as i was using a java based webmail with Tor.

I now reinstalled Tor (Videlia package) and the latest version of Torbutton for Firefox, The latest Torbutton seems to block java etc and dynamic scripts ( a good thing i agree) but this has now left me with no way to contact my overseas friends by email safely.

Basically i was using webmail (inbox.com) setup with fictional names etc and always via Tor and documents sent as true crypt files, my theory was that if his country traced the emails ever, they would only find me as being random Torrified IPs, and not trace the real country etc that his info was coming from. But now i cant access java webmail i not sure which way to turn.

-Either i allow the java and "hope" it doesnt send my real IP and leave a trace?
    -Or i could use fully PGP email etc, but still possibly leave a IP route?
    -Contunie to use Tor to access a webmail that doesnt use Java or scripts (If there is such a thing?)

Would appriecate any ideas, does a script-free webmail service exist?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

For a Java applet to reveal your "real" IP address, javaw.exe would have to access the Internet directly. Either use a firewall to block javaw.exe from network access or configure it (via the Java Control Panel) to use Tor also (see the De-anonymizing Tor and Detecting Proxies thread for more details).

However virtually no webmail services require Java so could you be confusing it with Javascript instead? Javascript alone, as far as I have been able to determine, cannot reveal a "real" IP address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.